Pro-choice advocates offer prayers of thanks to God for abortion
Since the historic passage of Roe vs. Wade in 1973, pro-life advocates have actively fought against the growing number of elective abortions in the U.S. through vigils, counseling, violence, protests, picketing, sit-ins, prayer and more. The belief that life is sacred and ordained by God is a predominantly religious concept based on traditional and scriptural principles, so it would seem natural to draw a connection between religion or faith-based tenants and the idea of being pro-life. Prayer, a fundamental tenant of most faiths, is typically thought of as being directed toward God, whom many faiths believe to be pro-life. However, the Planned Parenthood in Humboldt County, Calif., a chapter of the nation's largest abortion provider, has turned the traditional definition of prayer on its ear.
The Washington Post reported that the Planned Parenthood chapter has copied the pro-life movement's "40 day prayer vigils" with their own "40 days of prayer," focusing their prayers on abortion — but taking a decidedly different direction than the pro-life prayers previously uttered. A prayer guide is available from the Planned Parenthood website and walks pro-abortion supporters through specific, directed prayers to give thanks that abortion is legal, to pray for increased access to abortion services, and to thank God for their power of choice, among other things. The writer of these prayers, Faith Aloud, personally acknowledges that aborted babies are "our children — even those we decide not to bring into the world."
Faith Aloud points out that abortion prayers aren't a new concept, although there may be an increased focus on the struggle between abortion rights advocates and the pro-life side due to emerging opinions on a so-called GOP "War on Women."
- Mormon thrill ride creator still generating...
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in women's retail
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS World: Western author Wallace Stegner...
- Religious groups react to Boy Scouts’...
- BYU-Idaho students form brotherhood of...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 298
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 141
- Religious groups react to Boy... 77
- Do contraceptive rules make religious... 43
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy... 31
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in... 27
- America welcomes Christians, Jews;... 21
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in... 10