PALO ALTO, Calif. — Host No. 7 Stanford hung on for a 10-9 win Tuesday night over BYU's baseball team.
The Cougars produced a seven-run rally in the eighth inning to make things extremely interesting, but Stanford ultimately survived.
Three times the game-tying run was at the plate for BYU, but none closer than in the ninth when Jaycob Brugman was thrown out at the plate after his no-out triple. Brugman's triple scored Brock Whitney, but Brugman was thrown out when Alex Wolfe got aboard at first on a fielder’s choice.
“It was disappointing because we had the tying run at third with no one out,” BYU coach Vance Law said. “My instructions (to Brugman) were to make sure the ball is past the pitcher, we’ll freeze on the corners and we could score on the sac fly. I thought it (Wolfe’s fielder’s choice) was going in the hole. If he (Brugman) goes on contact, he probably scores. It is unfortunate we made a base-running error there, but we had other opportunities.”
The Cardinal (26-10) built up a 9-1 lead through seven innings after initially taking a 5-0 lead in the second.
The seven-run eighth inning was huge for the Cougars (17-15) — sparked by doubles from Austin Hall and Adam Law and a two-run single by Stephen Wells.
The Cougars return to league action on Thursday when they start a three-game series at the University of San Francisco.
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at email@example.com.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 115
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 36
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 21
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21