Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
Paul Millsap and Al Jefferson led the Utah Jazz to a 100-88 win over the Phoenix Suns, securing a playoff berth.
SALT LAKE CITY — In a do-or-die showdown, Utah big men Paul Millsap, Al Jefferson and Derrick Favors combined for 27 points and 16 rebounds as the Jazz grabbed a 49-42 halftime lead over the Phoenix Suns in the two teams' virtual NBA playoff elimination game Tuesday night at EnergySolutions Arena.
Millsap had 11 points and six rebounds in the first half, while Jefferson added eight points and six boards and Favors contributed eight points, four rebounds and five blocked shots to help the Jazz grab a seven-point halftime lead despite shooting just 40.8 percent from the field.
Shannon Brown scored 10 points and Michael Redd added eight for Phoenix (33-31), which came into Tuesday's contest trailing the Jazz by one game in the playoff chase.
A win by Utah (34-30) would clinch a Western Conference playoff spot for the Jazz, who could still reach the postseason despite a loss to Phoenix provided the Suns lose their regular-season finale to San Antonio and the Jazz defeat Portland in their own finale Thursday night.
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33