SALT LAKE CITY — A confrontation in a Salt Lake hotel ended in injury and an arrest for aggravated assault after a man was cut with a box-cutter.
Juan Estrada, 51, was at a hotel at 754 West North Temple April 2 drinking with friends, charges filed Tuesday in the 3rd District Court state. According to Daniel Martinez, one of the friends in the room, Estrada followed an unknown man out of the room and started to fight with him.
When Martinez asked Estrada why he wanted to fight the man, Estrada said it was "none of his business," and he attacked Martinez with a blue, box-cutter style knife, charges state.
According to court documents, police responded and found Estrada lying on a bed in the hotel room shirtless with the knife in the front pocket of his pants. Charges state an officer determined Estrada was heavily intoxicated. He was allegedly uncooperative and taken into custody.
Martinez was hospitalized at the University of Utah Hospital. An officer who responded noted the cut had penetrated Martinez's skin and muscle, exposing intestines and fatty tissue. Martinez was treated for the wound.
Estrada was charged with aggravated assault, a second-degree felony; and purchase, transfer, possession or use of a dangerous weapon by restricted person, a class A misdemeanor.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Police: Man confronts driver's ed student,...
- Man wanted for questioning in Tooele fire...
- Venezuela presents details in weapons case...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 27
- Can police-community relations be... 14
- Rep. Mia Love buying $1M in TV ads for... 14
- Giant algal bloom likely to fuel Utah... 10
- Appellate court upholds water rights... 8