SALT LAKE CITY — A confrontation in a Salt Lake hotel ended in injury and an arrest for aggravated assault after a man was cut with a box-cutter.
Juan Estrada, 51, was at a hotel at 754 West North Temple April 2 drinking with friends, charges filed Tuesday in the 3rd District Court state. According to Daniel Martinez, one of the friends in the room, Estrada followed an unknown man out of the room and started to fight with him.
When Martinez asked Estrada why he wanted to fight the man, Estrada said it was "none of his business," and he attacked Martinez with a blue, box-cutter style knife, charges state.
According to court documents, police responded and found Estrada lying on a bed in the hotel room shirtless with the knife in the front pocket of his pants. Charges state an officer determined Estrada was heavily intoxicated. He was allegedly uncooperative and taken into custody.
Martinez was hospitalized at the University of Utah Hospital. An officer who responded noted the cut had penetrated Martinez's skin and muscle, exposing intestines and fatty tissue. Martinez was treated for the wound.
Estrada was charged with aggravated assault, a second-degree felony; and purchase, transfer, possession or use of a dangerous weapon by restricted person, a class A misdemeanor.
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- Body in suitcase is not missing Provo woman,...
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Historic Salt Lake building now home to...
- Wedding put on hold after BYU student kicked...
- Who should pay? City, developer, residents at...
- Man dies in paragliding crash on Utah Lake
- Opposing sides of same-sex marriage... 124
- Outcome of same-sex marriage case hard... 54
- Stewart, Bishop launch group to take... 37
- Herbert, legislative leaders starting... 29
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- 2 Utah chiefs with Baltimore ties say... 19
- Provo businessman declines push to run... 19
- LDS Church donates $100,000 to combat... 19