SALT LAKE CITY — A confrontation in a Salt Lake hotel ended in injury and an arrest for aggravated assault after a man was cut with a box-cutter.
Juan Estrada, 51, was at a hotel at 754 West North Temple April 2 drinking with friends, charges filed Tuesday in the 3rd District Court state. According to Daniel Martinez, one of the friends in the room, Estrada followed an unknown man out of the room and started to fight with him.
When Martinez asked Estrada why he wanted to fight the man, Estrada said it was "none of his business," and he attacked Martinez with a blue, box-cutter style knife, charges state.
According to court documents, police responded and found Estrada lying on a bed in the hotel room shirtless with the knife in the front pocket of his pants. Charges state an officer determined Estrada was heavily intoxicated. He was allegedly uncooperative and taken into custody.
Martinez was hospitalized at the University of Utah Hospital. An officer who responded noted the cut had penetrated Martinez's skin and muscle, exposing intestines and fatty tissue. Martinez was treated for the wound.
Estrada was charged with aggravated assault, a second-degree felony; and purchase, transfer, possession or use of a dangerous weapon by restricted person, a class A misdemeanor.
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- World-renowned rock art in Utah is younger...
- Doug Robinson: The Birdman of Utah
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- No timeline announced yet for Cottonwood Mall...
- Part police cruiser, part taxi,...
- Duchesne County man pleads guilty to federal...
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 41
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 39
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- Gov.: Elected officials need to serve... 10
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 10