It appears the BCS is set to undergo a major overhaul.
The 11 FBS commissioners and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick are meeting in South Florida this week to talk about the future postseason format. These discussions are certain to impact BYU, which is entering its second year as an independent.
Another major independent, Notre Dame, will have a voice at this meeting. Changes in the postseason could affect the status of Notre Dame and BYU.
"Swarbrick and head coach Brian Kelly spoke at a dinner Saturday at the Joyce Center, and, naturally, the subject of the BCS, and specifically Notre Dame's fit in it, came up," writes Matt Fortuna of ESPN.com. "'The goal and priority is to remain independent (in football),' Swarbrick said, according to Notre Dame's sports information department. 'What the postseason becomes is the lynchpin. There's still one chapter to come as far as conference realignment and that will come after these BCS discussions. These are an important three-and-a-half days (of meetings) this next week in Florida. (The result) will have a significant impact on us one way or another.'"
Turning to basketball, high school phenom Jabari Parker is being recruiting by a host of schools, including BYU. Parker's coach, Robert Smith, said Parker hasn't eliminated long-shot programs from consideration, but he wants to win an NCAA championship.
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 103
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 81
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 13
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four... 5