It appears the BCS is set to undergo a major overhaul.
The 11 FBS commissioners and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick are meeting in South Florida this week to talk about the future postseason format. These discussions are certain to impact BYU, which is entering its second year as an independent.
Another major independent, Notre Dame, will have a voice at this meeting. Changes in the postseason could affect the status of Notre Dame and BYU.
"Swarbrick and head coach Brian Kelly spoke at a dinner Saturday at the Joyce Center, and, naturally, the subject of the BCS, and specifically Notre Dame's fit in it, came up," writes Matt Fortuna of ESPN.com. "'The goal and priority is to remain independent (in football),' Swarbrick said, according to Notre Dame's sports information department. 'What the postseason becomes is the lynchpin. There's still one chapter to come as far as conference realignment and that will come after these BCS discussions. These are an important three-and-a-half days (of meetings) this next week in Florida. (The result) will have a significant impact on us one way or another.'"
Turning to basketball, high school phenom Jabari Parker is being recruiting by a host of schools, including BYU. Parker's coach, Robert Smith, said Parker hasn't eliminated long-shot programs from consideration, but he wants to win an NCAA championship.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 35
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 30
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Badger looking to become part of BYU's... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 20