It appears the BCS is set to undergo a major overhaul.
The 11 FBS commissioners and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick are meeting in South Florida this week to talk about the future postseason format. These discussions are certain to impact BYU, which is entering its second year as an independent.
"Swarbrick and head coach Brian Kelly spoke at a dinner Saturday at the Joyce Center, and, naturally, the subject of the BCS, and specifically Notre Dame's fit in it, came up," writes Matt Fortuna of ESPN.com. "'The goal and priority is to remain independent (in football),' Swarbrick said, according to Notre Dame's sports information department. 'What the postseason becomes is the lynchpin. There's still one chapter to come as far as conference realignment and that will come after these BCS discussions. These are an important three-and-a-half days (of meetings) this next week in Florida. (The result) will have a significant impact on us one way or another.'"
Turning to basketball, high school phenom Jabari Parker is being recruiting by a host of schools, including BYU. Parker's coach, Robert Smith, said Parker hasn't eliminated long-shot programs from consideration, but he wants to win an NCAA championship.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26