Evidence against Steven Powell can be used at trial, judge rules
Cox believes that Steven Powell has information about what happened to his daughter. When asked whether he would be open to a plea deal if it meant Powell revealing information about where Susan's body was, Cox said maybe.
"We think the police are going to find where Susan is. And we think it's important to keep Steve off the streets. We think it's important for the public safety and if it meant him going free, then absolutely not. If it mean some type of reduction that would still require a significant prison stay for him, then possibly," he said.
Bremner called Tuesday's ruling very important. If the judge had ruled in favor of the defense, "I think (Steven Powell) would have walked out today potentially," she said.
Both sides will now prepare for a trial, which will potentially include witnesses from the West Valley Police Department who served the warrant on the Powell house, and Jennifer Graves, Steven Powell's estranged daughter who lives in Utah.
"We're prepared for anything," Cox said. "We've known Steve has issues. I'm not really surprised about things he has done. I'm surprised about the depth of it. I didn't realize there was the voyeurism and all those issues. … Everyone who's talked about him has used the word 'creepy,' so there's always been a negative feeling around him, and we'll deal with whatever comes up."
"Prayers answered today!" Kiirsii Hellewell said on Twitter following the judge's announcement Tuesday. Hellewell was a close friend of Susan Powell and has been following the case closely. "Steven Powell will not be back out on the street anytime soon to victimize other innocent girls and women!"
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 44
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 43
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 38
- Hal Boyd: Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 32
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Report: States manage public lands for... 23