Evidence against Steven Powell can be used at trial, judge rules
Cox believes that Steven Powell has information about what happened to his daughter. When asked whether he would be open to a plea deal if it meant Powell revealing information about where Susan's body was, Cox said maybe.
"We think the police are going to find where Susan is. And we think it's important to keep Steve off the streets. We think it's important for the public safety and if it meant him going free, then absolutely not. If it mean some type of reduction that would still require a significant prison stay for him, then possibly," he said.
Bremner called Tuesday's ruling very important. If the judge had ruled in favor of the defense, "I think (Steven Powell) would have walked out today potentially," she said.
Both sides will now prepare for a trial, which will potentially include witnesses from the West Valley Police Department who served the warrant on the Powell house, and Jennifer Graves, Steven Powell's estranged daughter who lives in Utah.
"We're prepared for anything," Cox said. "We've known Steve has issues. I'm not really surprised about things he has done. I'm surprised about the depth of it. I didn't realize there was the voyeurism and all those issues. … Everyone who's talked about him has used the word 'creepy,' so there's always been a negative feeling around him, and we'll deal with whatever comes up."
"Prayers answered today!" Kiirsii Hellewell said on Twitter following the judge's announcement Tuesday. Hellewell was a close friend of Susan Powell and has been following the case closely. "Steven Powell will not be back out on the street anytime soon to victimize other innocent girls and women!"
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Weber County deputies investigating possible...
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy shine...
- Festival celebrates cultural traditions
- Photos: Here comes the sun
- Police suspect arson in house fire that...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 33
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 30
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy... 11