SALT LAKE CITY — An assistant Cottonwood High School football coach was charged Monday with assaulting a man at a party.
Eric C. Eyre, 30, was attending a party at 2015 S. 500 East in Salt Lake City on March 24 when his friend got into an argument with another man about spilled alcohol, according to charges filed in 3rd District Court. Eyre and his friend were asked to leave the party.
Eyre then punched the man who was arguing with his friend and repeatedly hit the man's head against the ground, knocking him unconscious, the charging documents state.
The victim was treated at University Hospital for a concussion, received stitches to his forehead and chin and suffered three chipped teeth, the charges state. He told police he didn't have any memory of the incident.
Eyre was identified by several witnesses. One person at the party identified Eyre as a defensive coordinator when he was in high school, and said Eyre was now a coach at Cottonwood High School, the charges state.
Eyre was charged with aggravated assault, a third-degree felony. He was previously a head football coach at Ogden High School and Madison High School in Rexburg, Idaho. He served a two-game suspension during the 2009 season at Ogden for a confrontation with the school's band director over a football field scheduling conflict.
Ben Horsley, Granite School District spokesman, said the district is looking for a "quick resolution" to the situation. If Eyre is convicted, it would be grounds for termination.
"District policy requires that when an individual is arrested for any reason, they report it within 48 hours," he said. The district received no notification from Eyre that he had been involved in the incident, Horsley said.
Eyre is the second Cottonwood football coach to face allegations this month. Head coach Josh Lyman, 32, was placed on administrative leave last week after allegations arose that he had an inappropriate relationship with a female student. Lyman has denied the allegations, and a criminal investigation is being conducted by the Granite School District police. No charges have been filed against him.
- Ogden home burglarized while family attends...
- Utah family's adoption of Ethiopian girl...
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- Video: Utah man uses 'random acts of pasta'...
- Utah lawmakers contemplate law requiring body...
- How do I know if I'm ovulating?
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- Proposed tax increase a 'bold move' for...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 70
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as... 36
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 34
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 27
- GOP plans to sue over Count My Vote... 27
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 21
- Proposed tax increase a 'bold move' for... 21