GOP nominates 2nd, 4th congressional candidates with love and rancor
Governor Gary Herbert, most others avoid June runoff
Swallow said he would lead the fight for public lands in Utah, to curb illegal immigration and to defeat Obamacare. "I have learned how to fight in the courtroom, in the Legislature and in the attorney general's office," Swallow told delegates.
Reyes said he, too, would fight for Utah on those same issues. He said he would return the attorney general's office to a law office "of and for the people" that is not unduly influenced by lobbyists or a political agenda.
The winner of the June primary faces Democratic Weber County Attorney Dee Smith in November.
In the 1st Congressional District, Rob Bishop easily won the Republican nomination over two challengers. Ditto for Rep. Jason Chaffetz in the 3rd District.
In the Democrats only primary for a statewide race, Donna McAleer and Ryan Combe will face off in June for the 1st Congressional District nomination.
"I'm disappointed at having a primary, I'm not going to deny that. Primaries consume a lot of financial and human resources," said McAleer, a West Point graduate who has worked as a corporate vice president, run a nonprofit organization.
Combe, director of marketing for Weber State University, attributed the final outcome to "people voting their hearts."
Salt Lake City Council Chairman Soren Simon won the Democratic nomination for the 3rd Congressional District.
Former GOP state lawmaker John Dougall, backed by Senate President Michael Waddoups and House Speaker Becky Lockhart, forced a primary election with incumbent state auditor Auston Johnson.
Democrats nominated Chris Stout for state treasurer and Mark Sage for state auditor.
Contributing: Marjorie Cortez
- Hillcrest students, others show support for...
- Police: 2 teens killed in Sandy crash...
- 'Another piece to the puzzle': Census reveals...
- First prison relocation open house changes...
- Warrant issued for Vernal mother accused of...
- Prosecutors file new charge against ex-Utah...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on dietary...
- Police: Toddler accidentally shot in foot by...
- How do Utah wages stack up nationally? 49
- Koch brothers group launches Utah chapter 41
- First prison relocation open house... 38
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 30
- S.L. City Council, mayor seek... 28
- Legalize medical marijuana? Utahns... 27
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- Utah's air pollution problem: What does... 17