Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah Democratic delegates whittled down candidates in three congressional races during the party's state convention Saturday, selecting three candidates outright.
Candidates in the 1st Congressional District, however, will face off in a primary election, after neither received 60 percent of the vote in a second round of balloting. That outcome was fairly surprising because candidate Donna McAleer had won 59.5 percent of the vote in the first round of balloting.
In second go-round, McAleer's support dropped to 50.75 percent, to Ryan Combe's 49.25 percent.
"I'm disappointed at having a primary, I'm not going to deny that. Primaries consume a lot of financial and human resources," she said. McAleer, a West Point graduate, has worked as a corporate vice president, run a nonprofit organization and is a published author.
Combe, director of marketing for Weber State University, attributed the final outcome to "people voting their hearts."
Meanwhile, in the 2nd and 3rd congressional districts, delegates selected former state lawmaker Jay Seegmiller and Salt Lake City council chairman Soren Simonsen, respectively, as the party's candidates in those districts.
Rep. Jim Matheson, D-Utah, who was unopposed, was nominated to run in the 4th Congressional District.
In the party's lone contested legislative race, incumbent Rep. Christine Watkins, D-Price, defeated challenger Stanley Larson.
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- World-renowned rock art in Utah is younger...
- Wet, cool August delivered more than twice...
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- No timeline announced yet for Cottonwood Mall...
- Family of fallen officer Derek Johnson...
- Part police cruiser, part taxi,...
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 41
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 39
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Parents say daughter didn't understand... 22
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14