Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah Democratic delegates whittled down candidates in three congressional races during the party's state convention Saturday, selecting three candidates outright.
Candidates in the 1st Congressional District, however, will face off in a primary election, after neither received 60 percent of the vote in a second round of balloting. That outcome was fairly surprising because candidate Donna McAleer had won 59.5 percent of the vote in the first round of balloting.
In second go-round, McAleer's support dropped to 50.75 percent, to Ryan Combe's 49.25 percent.
"I'm disappointed at having a primary, I'm not going to deny that. Primaries consume a lot of financial and human resources," she said. McAleer, a West Point graduate, has worked as a corporate vice president, run a nonprofit organization and is a published author.
Combe, director of marketing for Weber State University, attributed the final outcome to "people voting their hearts."
Meanwhile, in the 2nd and 3rd congressional districts, delegates selected former state lawmaker Jay Seegmiller and Salt Lake City council chairman Soren Simonsen, respectively, as the party's candidates in those districts.
Rep. Jim Matheson, D-Utah, who was unopposed, was nominated to run in the 4th Congressional District.
In the party's lone contested legislative race, incumbent Rep. Christine Watkins, D-Price, defeated challenger Stanley Larson.
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested for...
- Candlelight vigil held for critically injured...
- About Utah: They're best in the world
- Former Ute, NFL player brings holiday cheer...
- Two arrested in SLC homicide investigation
- Driver allegedly causes accident on I-15,...
- Four being questioned in attempted murder of...
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 94
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 36
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on... 33
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary... 20
- What does a letter grade mean for my... 19
- Utah lawmakers recommend lowest-cost... 16
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary... 14
- Regulators, groups eye EPA rule on coal... 11