Dow Jones, a member of the Canyons School District Education Foundation board, which raises money for the district, said he opposes both an investigation and a survey. He dismissed the concerns raised by parents, teachers and administrators as a vocal minority resistant to change.
"You can't run a company by popular vote," he said. "People might feel like they've been censored or pushed back when they don't share the same opinion."
Many of the allegations, however, are not a response to district change or policy. Several people at Tuesday's meeting — and others online — accused Doty and district leaders of intimidation and said they had nowhere to turn for help.
When asked about those concerns, Dow said he still opposed an anonymous survey of employees. He said it would not be appropriate and could become a "witch hunt."
"Will the vocal minority outweigh the silent majority that just wants to wake up in the morning and send their kids to school?" he asked.
Kim Schoenbrunn, a mother and co-president of the Brighton High School Parent Teacher Student Association, said she doesn't know if the allegations are true or not but they are serious enough to justify an investigation. She said she's heard about things going on in the district that worry her and an anonymous survey would allow employees to speak freely without fear of repercussion.
Wrigley said his point of view is in the minority on the board. "I recognize that I am speaking only as one member of the board but feel that as an elected official, I have a duty to be responsive to those whom I was elected to serve."
The board censured one of its members, Kevin Cromar, in September, accusing him of undermining Doty and spreading allegations about a fellow board member. Attempts to reach Cromar, McCarty and the other members of the board Friday by were not successful.
- Miss Utah USA gets second chance at question...
- Bear scare: 'Baden and Logan saved my life.'
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running shoe...
- 7-year-old girl who met Justin Bieber passes...
- Miss Utah USA's bungled interview creates...
- Impeachment investigation 'highly likely,'...
- Man charged with attempted murder in Ogden...
- Miss Utah USA's bungled interview... 38
- BYU poll: Majority favor impeachment,... 29
- Video: Miss Utah USA flubs answer at... 26
- Teen's family apologizes to family of... 21
- 2 others back up extortion claims... 21
- Attorneys for AG John Swallow say... 20
- Gunman caught after shooting... 20
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running... 19