Canyons board members split over need for investigation
Dow Jones, a member of the Canyons School District Education Foundation board, which raises money for the district, said he opposes both an investigation and a survey. He dismissed the concerns raised by parents, teachers and administrators as a vocal minority resistant to change.
"You can't run a company by popular vote," he said. "People might feel like they've been censored or pushed back when they don't share the same opinion."
Many of the allegations, however, are not a response to district change or policy. Several people at Tuesday's meeting — and others online — accused Doty and district leaders of intimidation and said they had nowhere to turn for help.
When asked about those concerns, Dow said he still opposed an anonymous survey of employees. He said it would not be appropriate and could become a "witch hunt."
"Will the vocal minority outweigh the silent majority that just wants to wake up in the morning and send their kids to school?" he asked.
Kim Schoenbrunn, a mother and co-president of the Brighton High School Parent Teacher Student Association, said she doesn't know if the allegations are true or not but they are serious enough to justify an investigation. She said she's heard about things going on in the district that worry her and an anonymous survey would allow employees to speak freely without fear of repercussion.
Wrigley said his point of view is in the minority on the board. "I recognize that I am speaking only as one member of the board but feel that as an elected official, I have a duty to be responsive to those whom I was elected to serve."
The board censured one of its members, Kevin Cromar, in September, accusing him of undermining Doty and spreading allegations about a fellow board member. Attempts to reach Cromar, McCarty and the other members of the board Friday by were not successful.
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Pranks spark collection of toilet paper by...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an...
- What to do after the presents are opened?...
- Utah native served with main character in...
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- West High basketball players work to debate...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 122
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary... 35
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 27
- What does a letter grade mean for my... 19
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 18
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested... 12
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 12