13. Effectively find people to teach. Most LDS Church rosters have names of inactive families. On some occasions, in small or spread-out church units, there might be less active people on the rolls of the church the leadership has not met. These are prime opportunities for missionaries to meet and activate these good people. Visits here can often lead to also finding people to teach who are these members' relatives or friends. These relatives and friends are more likely to want to hear the gospel message than just an average person you find through door to door contacting. Inactive members have at one time felt the Spirit and were baptized. Perhaps their course of life has prepared them to be active again now. Perhaps they have a new spouse, had children or grandchildren or have a new circle of friend since they were baptized. Maybe their friends and relatives are prepared to hear the gospel message. Ask these less active members for a list of people they know that you can teach (see "Let Us Raise Our Voice of Warning," by President Henry B. Eyring, Ensign, January 2009). Friends and family members of inactive members can often be your primary investigator lead source. In some areas of the church, there are enough contacts you can meet through inactive members that door-knocking is rarely needed to find people to teach.
These ideas and other the “best practices” of other successful missionaries along with following the rules and guidelines set by the mission leadership, can help set the foundation for a mission being two of the best years. Remember this old saying, “you prepare 19 years to serve your mission, two years doing it and eternity reflecting upon it.”
Serve the type of mission that will give you an eternity of great memories to reflect upon. When you return home, do so knowing that you truly did your best for the Lord and his church.
Brian Stutzman served a mission in Virginia and is currently serving in his ward high priest group leadership.
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with newly...
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in theaters...
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies inspired...
- Over half a million people attended Ogden...
- 10 religious leaders you may not know about
- Should I stay or should I go? How faith adds...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 35
- Here's how U.S. churches are changing... 16
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 12
- A conversation with Mormon convert and... 9
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU... 5
- New Utah rabbi hopes to 'perfect the... 5
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- Over half a million people attended... 4