“After the tour we all met in the studio room and listened to two professors talk about the academics at BYU,” said Hicks. “They had a religion professor there and a professor from the marketing department talk about all the work they did with Nike and other stuff. That was great and definitely a highlight for all of us.”
Following the presentation from the two professors, coach Bronco Mendenhall spoke briefly and then introduced 15-20 current players in the football program who took over from there. Players such as Riley Nelson, Kyle Van Noy and Cody Hoffman answered questions from the recruits.
“That was something really unique, I think,” said Hicks. “When you visit most schools, you get to just hear from the coaches, which is great, but hearing from the players, I think, gives you a much better look into the program, by just talking to people that are there and experiencing it. Listening to the current players was definitely the highlight for me.”
Another highlight for Hicks was getting an opportunity to meet many of his fellow commits and other prospective players. One player, in particular, who he hit it off with was Las Vegas linebacker prospect Trajan Pili, who committed to BYU this past summer.
“I’m taking the attitude that I need to help recruit players to the program now that I’m committed and Trajan feels the same way,” said Hicks. “I don’t want to be one of those guys who just keeps on listening to other schools and still considers other schools. I’m committed to BYU, and it’s up to me to help get the best recruiting class in that I can.”
These recruiting functions will hardly be the last for either Utah or BYU. Utah will hold another junior day function along with administrating its summer camp, while BYU will hold a much more inclusive junior day in early June and will also host a summer camp.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 112
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 74
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 45
- Guest commentary: BYU football and... 39
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 32
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 27
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 23
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 23