Author Stephen Covey hospitalized after bike accident
Tom Smart, Deseret News
PROVO — Motivational speaker and author Stephen R. Covey was knocked unconscious after crashing his bicycle Thursday.
He remained hospitalized in stable condition Friday at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center, said hospital spokeswoman Janet Frank. He was sedated and responding to treatment, she said.
Covey, 79, was riding downhill near 2733 Foothill Drive in Provo just after 8 p.m. when he lost control of his bike, said Provo Police Sgt. Mathew Siufanua.
"He tried to turn, and he just lost control and he fell," he said.
Covey, who was wearing a helmet, was knocked unconscious and remained unconscious when he was taken away by paramedics to the hospital, he said.
The accident was witnessed by one of Covey's personal assistants. She told police that Covey appeared to be going a little too fast as he went down the hill.
Emergency crews that responded said Covey was knocked out and had a giant "goose egg" on his head, even though he was wearing a helmet.
Debra Lund, Covey's publicist and director of public relations at FranklinCovey, said Friday that Covey is showing signs of improvement.
"He is recovering and responding well to the treatment physicians are giving him and responding to family and that is good news," she said.
Although he does remain in the intensive care unit, Lund said Covey has been able to interact with family and is talking with them. The next little while will be key to his recovery, she added.
"They are watching him carefully," she said. "It's hurry up and wait."
Covey is the author of the best-selling book "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People." In 1997, he merged with Franklin Quest to form the FranklinCovey company.
Contributing: Amy Joi O'Donoghue
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Darrien's day: Controversy put aside as man...
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- World War II veterans grateful for...
- Protest ride results in charges against...
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 38
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- New definition of homeless would give... 24
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls... 18
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 18