Author Stephen Covey hospitalized after bike accident
Tom Smart, Deseret News
PROVO — Motivational speaker and author Stephen R. Covey was knocked unconscious after crashing his bicycle Thursday.
He remained hospitalized in stable condition Friday at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center, said hospital spokeswoman Janet Frank. He was sedated and responding to treatment, she said.
Covey, 79, was riding downhill near 2733 Foothill Drive in Provo just after 8 p.m. when he lost control of his bike, said Provo Police Sgt. Mathew Siufanua.
"He tried to turn, and he just lost control and he fell," he said.
Covey, who was wearing a helmet, was knocked unconscious and remained unconscious when he was taken away by paramedics to the hospital, he said.
The accident was witnessed by one of Covey's personal assistants. She told police that Covey appeared to be going a little too fast as he went down the hill.
Emergency crews that responded said Covey was knocked out and had a giant "goose egg" on his head, even though he was wearing a helmet.
Debra Lund, Covey's publicist and director of public relations at FranklinCovey, said Friday that Covey is showing signs of improvement.
"He is recovering and responding well to the treatment physicians are giving him and responding to family and that is good news," she said.
Although he does remain in the intensive care unit, Lund said Covey has been able to interact with family and is talking with them. The next little while will be key to his recovery, she added.
"They are watching him carefully," she said. "It's hurry up and wait."
Covey is the author of the best-selling book "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People." In 1997, he merged with Franklin Quest to form the FranklinCovey company.
Contributing: Amy Joi O'Donoghue
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- Kennecott hopes project will change mountain...
- Woman who drank toxic tea credits God, family...
- Many questions remain in case of baby found...
- Son of murdered woman felt peace in '91, now...
- Solar energy users claim victory as 'sun tax'...
- Police reviewing possible nightclub photos of...
- Missionary, police testify against man...
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 46
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 40
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 36
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 30
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 22
- Parents say daughter didn't understand... 22
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 20