Cottonwood High football coach put on leave, but he denies allegations against him
MURRAY — Cottonwood High School's head football coach has been placed on paid administrative leave amid allegations of inappropriate physical contact with a student.
Josh Lyman was removed from school premises Wednesday afternoon, Granite School District spokesman Ben Horsley said.
But Lyman says the allegations aren't true, said his attorney, Ed Brass.
"He absolutely denies that not only was there no inappropriate contact, there was no physical contact between himself and the (student) making this accusation," Brass said.
Lyman is facing both criminal and administrative investigations, though no charges have been filed.
"This is one of the worst things that can happen to a family and one of the worst things that can happen to a school community," Horsley said.
Officials received information implicating Lyman from several students, including the alleged victim, he said.
A substitute will be appointed to fulfill Lyman's duties until the investigations are completed. No decisions have been made concerning the vacancy on the school's coaching staff, Horsley said.
"The allegations are of such a serious nature that (coaching position is) of little concern to us at this point in time," he said.
Lyman, a former wide receiver at the University of Utah, was promoted from assistant to head coach prior to the 2010 season. He replaced Teko Johnson, the former Mountain View coach who suffered a heart attack that summer and never coached a game with the Colts.
In August 2010, the Colts rallied from a seven-point deficit late in the fourth quarter to defeat the Alta Hawks 28-21 in Lyman's head coaching debut.
Cottonwood finished his inaugural season 10-1 and advanced to the state 5A quarterfinals that year.
Lyman is a 1997 graduate of Skyline High School and was part of three state title teams. He played college football at Dixie State College before walking on at Utah.
- Boston-bound airline pilot from West Jordan...
- Vernal man charged after 2 bizarre burglaries...
- SUU flight instructors die in plane crash...
- Chaffetz calls speaker bid a long shot, may...
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be named...
- Layton man attempts to duct tape, rape woman,...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 54
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 38
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 30
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 23
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 15
- State says it will fund Planned... 14
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters... 14