Devin Harris, Gordon Hayward lead Utah Jazz to a big win against Portland Trail Blazers
"We feel great," Corbin admitted. "We're in the mix and we just have to continue to take care of our business."
Portland (28-35) was eliminated from the playoffs on Monday, and the Blazers didn't dress four regulars, including injured All-Star power forward LaMarcus Aldridge, Raymond Felton, Jamal Crawford and Joel Przybilla.
Even so, Corbin was concerned coming into this one and warned his team, "Don't fall for the trap."
The Jazz scored the first four points and went ahead 19-8 against the outmatched Blazers. Portland fought back to tie it early in the second quarter, but that's when Utah went on a 29-11 run to seize the lead and control for good.
"We wanted to get some separation," Harris said. "And then once we got some separation, I thought the third quarter we came out aggressive and really focused in."
About the only thing that went badly for the Jazz was a collision between DeMarre Carroll and Derrick Favors midway through the fourth quarter.
Carroll, who suffered a mild concussion Saturday, writhed in pain on the court for a minute or so after banging heads with Favors.
The third-year forward, who was signed by the Jazz in February and has played well as a fill-in starter, left for the training room with ice on his head.
Both Carroll and Favors were given and passed initial concussion tests and were laughing about the incident after the game.
"He tried to knock me out," Favors joked.
GAME NOTES: Guard Blake Ahearn's 10-day contract expires Thursday, and general manager Kevin O'Connor said his fate will be decided after a discussion with the coaching staff. … Ex-Jazzman Wesley Matthews led the Blazers with 21 points. … Utah's final three games are at home — Saturday vs. Orlando, a big one against Phoenix on Tuesday and the regular-season finale vs. Portland next Thursday.
Related article: Tiebreakers could be key for final playoff spot
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 25
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21