As Elder Johnson has continued to recover, his parents brought a full keyboard into his room.
"We thought he'd have to relearn it," Cherie said, "but he just sat down and started playing."
Elder Johnson quickly became known as "the music patient." When he's playing, the nurses will gather near his room, and other patients will stop what they're doing to listen. Cherie is convinced that Elder Johnson's music has been an important part of his rapidly progressing recovery. She is also convinced that he is going to be completely well again.
"We expect him to have a full recovery," she said. "We have felt that from the very beginning, and he is definitely on that path. We feel he is going to be completely well."
But to reach that point will take some time.
"Right now he doesn't have vision in his left eye – that is where he took the brunt of the hit," she said. "We are hopeful that will heal with time."
According to the doctors, it will require 6-12 months for Elder Johnson's brain to heal. Meanwhile, they feel he's ready to leave the hospital. He will be transferred to a nearby rehabilitation center as soon as there is an opening – probably sometime this week, Cherie said.
"We have been very blessed throughout this experience," she said. "The doctors and hospital staff have been amazing. We have had so much support from family members and friends. The mission and the ward here in Toronto have showered us with incredible love and support and tender care.
"We feel very, very blessed."
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- 10 things to do with an LDS account
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- LDS apostles return to southern South America...
- Home-school culture shifting away from...
- Faith sustained author through rejection,...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered... 58
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 46
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 33
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 31
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 28
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged... 26
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 22
- Ask Angela: Woman shares update on... 20