Related: Top list: The worth of a homemaker
Add Bill Maher's name to those taking potshots — and then bipartisan heat for doing it — at Ann Romney, wife of Mitt Romney, who is expected to be the Republican nominee for president.
In remarks about the heat directed at Democrat strategist Hilary Rosen, who earlier criticized Ann Romney as someone who "never worked a day in her life," Maher offered his own now-controversial take. "What she meant to say, I think, was that Ann Romney has never gotten her a-- out of the house to work," Maher said.
Rosen later apologized for her comments.
Fox News says Republicans are citing the comedian's statement in pressuring the super PAC Priorities USA to return a $1 million donation from Maher or at least "condemn" his statement. The super PAC supports President Barack Obama.
Fox said even Democrats have chimed in to condemn Maher's remarks. It quoted Melody Barnes, Obama's former domestic policy adviser, who appeared on ABC's "This Week." "You know, the language, the sentiment are problematic. And the campaign has — and the president has said, look, the civility it matters. The way we talk to each other matters. And they're going to have to, as you said, make a decision," she said.
On his HBO show, "Real Time," Maher said of Ann Romney: "No one is denying that being a mother is a tough job; I remember I was a handful. But you know there is a big difference between being a mother, and that tough job, and getting your a-- out the door at 7 a.m. when it's cold, having to deal with the boss, being in a workplace, or even if you're unhappy you can't show it for eight hours."
Meanwhile, the Romney campaign released a video celebrating the Romneys' marriage and family life — and Ann. The video was distributed Monday, which was Ann Romney's 63rd birthday.
CBS News quotes Romney in the three-and-a-half minute video: “ ‘Ann and I fell in love when we were in high school; it doesn't happen to a lot of people,' he begins. Later in the video, he notes that his wife is a survivor of breast cancer and multiple sclerosis. 'She's a remarkable woman, and she's gone through some tough times,’ ” the report says.
EMAIL: email@example.com; Twitter: Loisco
- NORAD 'tracks' Santa from Australia to S....
- Officer kills armed 18-year-old near Ferguson
- Women excised from public life, abused by IS
- Key developments in the case of slain NYPD...
- Severe storms slam the South, killing at least 4
- Wal-Mart tests gift card exchange
- Sony broadly releases 'The Interview' in...
- The Associated Press' top 10 movies of the year
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,... 17
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by... 15
- Going it alone, Obama rocked the boat... 13
- Key developments in the case of slain... 9
- Pope in blistering critique of Vatican... 8
- Officer kills armed 18-year-old near... 7
- Killings of 2 New York officers trigger... 6
- Senate, CIA agree torture program was... 6