Last October, Rev. Robert Jeffress, a Baptist megachurch pastor and supporter of then-presidential candidate Rick Perry, launched a media firestorm of reaction and criticism when he belittled Mitt Romney's presidential bid by referring to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints – to which Romney belongs – as a non-Christian cult.
On Sunday, Rev. Jeffress officially endorsed Mitt Romney for president because President Barack Obama "opposes Biblical principles."
"I haven't changed my tune," Pastor Jeffress said. "In fact, I never said Christians should not vote for Mitt Romney. When I talked about his theology, I was answering a question about theology. And I still maintain there are vast differences in theology between Mormons and Christians, but we do share many of the same values, like the sanctity of life and religious freedom."
According to the Dallas Morning News, Rev. Jeffress railed against Romney in a sermon last September.
"Mitt Romney is a Mormon, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise," Jeffress said then. "Even though he talks about Jesus as his Lord and savior, he is not a Christian. Mormonism is not Christianity. Mormonism is a cult."
But now, Jeffress says, "given the choice between a Christian like Barack Obama, who embraces non-Biblical principles like abortion, and a Mormon like Mitt Romney, who embraces Biblical principles, there is every reason to support Mitt Romney in this election."
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- LDS Church releases video, topic page...
- Utah family adopts 2 newborns 6 weeks apart
- An LDS missionary and a Marine: Twin brothers...
- Wright Words: A day in the life of Mormon...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- 'Meet the Mormons' box office continues to...
- LDS grandmother completes Personal Progress...
- 'Meet the Mormons' box office continues... 46
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 40
- LDS Church releases video, topic page... 28
- LDS CIO helps LDSTech attendees better... 26
- Vatican alters draft report translation... 23
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 20
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 17
- An LDS missionary and a Marine: Twin... 11