Mike Leavitt endorses Dave Clark in 2nd Congressional District race
SALT LAKE CITY — Former Gov. Mike Leavitt endorsed Dave Clark in the 2nd Congressional District race on Tuesday.
Clark, who served as Utah House speaker, is one of 11 Republicans competing for the party's nomination at Saturday's GOP state convention.
Leavitt said Clark "possesses the right vision, leadership skills and experience to represent residents of the 2nd Congressional District. I am endorsing him now because it is in our state's interest and the Republican Party's interest to unify and support his candidacy."
The former governor and member of President George W. Bush's cabinet said Clark stands out because of his experience balancing Utah's budget during the economic downturn, skills Leavitt said are needed now in Washington, D.C.
Delegates to the state convention will decide which of the 11 candidates advance. The top two-vote getters will face a primary election if no candidate gets at least 60 percent of the votes cast.
The 2nd District seat is currently held by Utah's only Democrat in Congress, Rep. Jim Matheson. Matheson has chosen to run this election in the state's new 4th Congressional District, added through redistricting.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 35
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 35
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah... 13