SALT LAKE CITY — Larry H. Miller Megaplex Theatres announced Monday that it would acquire 11 Westates Theatres locations across Utah and one in Nevada.
The acquisition includes theaters in Logan, Cedar City, St. George and Mesquite, Nev., for a total of 71 new screens and 11,968 new seats, Megaplex Theatres said in a news release. Financial details of the acquisition were not disclosed.
"Westates thanks all of its loyal patrons, and is excited about the future expansions and upgrades that Megaplex is planning to bring to moviegoers," said Tony Rudman, president of Westates Theatres, in the news release.
The acquisition represents nearly 70 percent of Westate's theaters. It will operate five remaining theaters, including its only remaining Utah location at 1945 E. Murray-Holladay Rd. in Holladay. The other theaters are located in Idaho, Nevada and Arizona.
Megaplex said the acquisition was "part of a larger expansion program" that includes more than doubling the number of screens, from 70 to 150, in three years. Megaplex also plans to open a new location at Valley Fair Mall in West Valley City, and open two new auditoriums at Jordan Commons in Sandy.
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for wage...
- Jobless claims drop to near 6-year low
- Sugar House streetcar prepares for public launch
- 4 charged in year-long copper thefts at Utah...
- Walmart's 20 best-selling Black Friday items
- Children's museum celebrates 35 years of play
- Start thinking about retirement while in your...
- US unemployment falls to 7 pct. on 203K jobs...
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for... 30
- Obama declares health care law is... 21
- Intermountain Healthcare offering... 15
- Start thinking about retirement while... 7
- Obama to feds: Boost renewable power 20... 6
- Amazon's latest idea may make online... 6
- Walmart's 20 best-selling Black Friday... 5
- Jobless claims drop to near 6-year low 5