Huffington Post nets first Pulitzer Prize for daily online-only news source
When the Pulitzer Prize Board announced the recipients of the 2012 Pulitzers for journalism on Monday, David Wood's 10-part series "Beyond the Battlefield" won in the National Reporting category — making the Huffington Post the first daily online-only news source to ever garner a Pulitzer.
Lauren Indvik summarized the contextual significance of Wood's award in a piece she wrote for the media and business website Mashable: "The award may be Wood’s, but Huffington Post co-founder Arianna Huffington is a clear beneficiary. Over the past few years, Huffington has made a point of hiring experienced, well-known and (no doubt) expensive reporters like Wood. The hirings are part of an effort to position the Huffington Post as a serious news organization — not, as former New York Times executive editor Bill Keller has described it, as an 'overaggregator' of 'celebrity gossip, adorable kitten videos, posts from unpaid bloggers and news reports from other publications.'"
Forbes.com's Jeff Bercovici wrote Monday that Wood is "a longtime military correspondent for Time, the Los Angeles Times, the Baltimore Sun and other news organizations, (and) has been a Pulitzer finalist before but has never won. He’s one of the relatively small number of journalists who worked at AOL before the (Huffington Post) merger, at Politics Daily, and was retained afterward."
- Ben Barnes, Katherine Heigl in tune in...
- Texas' Perry says disparaging tweet unauthorized
- Living with Children: Late nights, not school...
- No gray area: Beliefs shape firm, disparate...
- Lawmakers: Islamic State groups wants to hit US
- Study claims cave art made by Neanderthals
- US trained Alaskans as secret 'stay-behind...
- Climate study yields bad news for tiny Nevada...
- 10 things to know about corporate... 32
- House, Senate intel chiefs press White... 17
- Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in... 16
- Saudi king says terrorists will reach... 13
- Lawmakers: Islamic State groups wants... 12
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- Freelancers and millennials help usher... 11
- US judge blocks enforcement of new... 9