Blue roundup: Jabari Parker named Gatorade National Boys' Basketball Player of the Year
High school basketball star Jabari Parker, whom BYU is heavily recruiting, earned 2011-12 Gatorade National Boys' Basketball Player of the Year honors.
Video of Parker accepting the award, along with a game of H-O-R-S-E between Parker and former NBA star Alonzo Mourning, is available on ESPN.com.
"Parker is only the fourth non-senior to win the Gatorade National Boys' Basketball Player of the Year award," according to ESPN.com. "He joins former two-time winners LeBron James (2001-02 and 2002-03), Greg Oden (2004-05 and 2005-06) and Brandon Knight (2008-09 and 2009-10). A 220-pound junior wing, Parker led the Wolverines to a 33-1 record and a third straight state championship this season. He averaged 20.4 points, 9.2 rebounds, 5.1 assists, 3.4 blocks and 1.5 steals per game, shooting 55 percent from the field, 39 percent from 3-point range and 72 percent from the free-throw line."
Meanwhile, we're only a couple of weeks removed from this year's NCAA Tournament championship game, but apparently it's never too early for Joe Lunardi's Bracketology projections for next season.
Lunardi has pegged the Cougars as a No. 13 seed, playing once again in a play-in game in Dayton, Ohio, against Ole Miss.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 47
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28