Utah State track and field: Aggies sweep team titles at Sacramento State's Mondo Mid-Major Challenge Saturday
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — The Utah State men's and women's track and field teams both won team titles along with seven individual titles as part of 36 Top-5 finishes Saturday at Sacramento State's Mondo Mid-Major Challenge at Hornet Stadium.
The Aggie women totaled 148 points, topping Western Athletic Conference foe Fresno State's 123 points. The USU men amassed 158.5 points, edging host Sacramento State (153 points).
Winning events for USU were seniors Sonia Grabowska in the pole vault and Lindsey Spencer in the discus, along with junior Silas Pimentel (200m), sophomore AJ Boully (400m hurdles) and freshman Nic Bowens (100m). Spencer extended her current Aggie record in the discus with a mark of 54.48m (178-09).
The women's 4x400m relay team and the men's 4x100m relay team also earned top honors. The women's relay team consisted of seniors Camille Fehlberg and Katelyn Heiner and juniors Aubrie Haymore and Bailee Whitworth. The men's relay team consisted of Bowens, Boully and Pimentel and junior Will Henry.
"I know I sound like a broken record — and I say this every week — but we want the athletes to improve each week and get better," said Utah State veteran head coach Gregg Gensel. "This week is a stepping stone to accomplishing that goal and our ultimate goal is winning the conference championship. Overall, we had a lot of great performances and that shows that we are moving in a positive direction."
Spencer's school-record discus mark leads the Western Athletic Conference and is the ninth-best toss in the nation. She also moved up to No. 5 in school history for the shot put with a throw of 14.93m (48-11.75).
Sophomore Sam Nielson threw the javelin 43.00m (141-01) to place third with a mark that ranks third-best all-time in Utah State history, while Bowens tied Anthony Stewart with the 10th-best time in school history in the 100m (10.49).
Overall, in addition to their seven titles, the Aggies had athletes take second place in eight events, third place in 10 events, fourth place in six events and fifth place in five events.
Next up Utah State will host its lone home meet of the season, the Mark Faldmo Invitational, on Friday and Saturday at the Ralph Maughan Track Stadium in Logan. For more information including a meet schedule visit utahstateaggies.com.
UTAH STATE RESULTS MONDO MID-MAJOR CHALLENGE
SACRAMENTO, CALIF. APRIL 14, 2012
WOMEN'S TEAM SCORES
1. Utah State 148 2. Fresno State 123 3. UC Davis 106 4. Sacramento State 103 5. Portland State 77 6. Idaho 72 7. Academy of Art 34 8. Montana 32 9. Nevada 2
MEN'S TEAM SCORES
1. Utah State 158.5 2. Sacramento State 153 3. UC Davis 104 4. Idaho 97 5. Fresno State 89.5 6. Montana 44 7. Portland State 30 8. Academy of Art 29
WOMEN'S INDIVIDUAL RESULTS
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Christian Stewart writes final chapter on...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for...
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A decade...
- High school sports: Nearly 650 athletes...
- Jazz in talks with German center Tibor...
- Utah Jazz bolster coaching staff on first day...
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul Millsap...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 57
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 50
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU's retired AD Glen... 27
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 21
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 19
- Jazz not expected to be a major player... 13