Utah State softball sweeps doubleheader against in-state foe Weber State Wednesday
The Aggies' offense rallied to the aid of Tyteca, adding four more runs in the bottom of the sixth inning, pushing their lead to a 10-3 advantage. Once again, Utah State capitalized on fielding mistakes by the Wildcats to build on its lead late in the game. Highlighting the inning was senior infielder Lindsey Marquez, who hit a pinch-hit single through the middle of the infield to score runners from second and third.
USU did not complete the bottom of the sixth inning as the game was called due to darkness and rainy conditions. Senior Dani Chaplin picked up her third win of the season, (3-4), while striking out nine batters in five innings of work. Tyteca was credited with her fourth save of the season, which not only leads her squad but is also the most saved by any pitcher in the Western Athletic Conference. Weber State starting pitcher Kelsie Vallies was given the loss, dropping her to a 1-3 record for the year.
Utah State will look to take its momentum back into Western Athletic Conference action as it prepares to take on Beehive State rival BYU in a three-game weekend series. The opening game of the series is set for Friday, April 13, with first pitch being delivered at 6 p.m. Friday’s game will be nationally televised on BYUtv.
Live stats will be available to all fans on the www.utahstateaggies.com home page, just click on the GameTracker link.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Optimism abounds for the Utah Jazz's future
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks finish second to...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- BYU rugby cruises past Central Washington,...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 33
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 26
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches 18
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- 3 Utes, 1 Aggie and 1 Cougar selected... 14