Elder Dallin H. Oaks, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and former president of Brigham Young University, will speaker at BYU's April 2012 Commencement exercises.
Cecil O. Samuelson, current president of BYU, will conduct the exercises on April 19 at 4 p.m. in the Marriott Center. Graduates should meet one hour prior to the event in the Abraham Smoot Building parking lot. Attendees are asked to be seated by 3:15 p.m. The Marriott Center doors will open at 2 p.m.
Elder Oaks is a native of Provo and graduated from BYU in 1954. He later went to the University of Chicago Law School. He served as president of BYU from 1971 to 1980, then became a justice of the Utah Supreme Court from 1980 to 1984.
People can view the ceremony live on BYU Television, BYU Radio, Classical 89 KBYU-FM and byutv.org. Individual college convocations will take place the next day.
On Friday, Samuelson will host "Meet the President," where graduates and their families can meet Samuelson and his wife at the Gordon B. Hinckley Alumni and Visitors Center Assembly Hall from 9 to 11 a.m.
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- 10-year-old honored for saving little brother
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 84
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 25
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 16