Elder Dallin H. Oaks, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and former president of Brigham Young University, will speaker at BYU's April 2012 Commencement exercises.
Cecil O. Samuelson, current president of BYU, will conduct the exercises on April 19 at 4 p.m. in the Marriott Center. Graduates should meet one hour prior to the event in the Abraham Smoot Building parking lot. Attendees are asked to be seated by 3:15 p.m. The Marriott Center doors will open at 2 p.m.
Elder Oaks is a native of Provo and graduated from BYU in 1954. He later went to the University of Chicago Law School. He served as president of BYU from 1971 to 1980, then became a justice of the Utah Supreme Court from 1980 to 1984.
People can view the ceremony live on BYU Television, BYU Radio, Classical 89 KBYU-FM and byutv.org. Individual college convocations will take place the next day.
On Friday, Samuelson will host "Meet the President," where graduates and their families can meet Samuelson and his wife at the Gordon B. Hinckley Alumni and Visitors Center Assembly Hall from 9 to 11 a.m.
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- LDS Church leaders continue to emphasize...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Layton man attempts to duct tape, rape woman,...
- The truth about addiction
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 53
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 37
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 28
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Roosevelt girl, 8, recovering from pit... 15
- State says it will fund Planned... 14
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters... 13
- Precedents — and exceptions... 12