Elder Dallin H. Oaks, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and former president of Brigham Young University, will speaker at BYU's April 2012 Commencement exercises.
Cecil O. Samuelson, current president of BYU, will conduct the exercises on April 19 at 4 p.m. in the Marriott Center. Graduates should meet one hour prior to the event in the Abraham Smoot Building parking lot. Attendees are asked to be seated by 3:15 p.m. The Marriott Center doors will open at 2 p.m.
Elder Oaks is a native of Provo and graduated from BYU in 1954. He later went to the University of Chicago Law School. He served as president of BYU from 1971 to 1980, then became a justice of the Utah Supreme Court from 1980 to 1984.
People can view the ceremony live on BYU Television, BYU Radio, Classical 89 KBYU-FM and byutv.org. Individual college convocations will take place the next day.
On Friday, Samuelson will host "Meet the President," where graduates and their families can meet Samuelson and his wife at the Gordon B. Hinckley Alumni and Visitors Center Assembly Hall from 9 to 11 a.m.
- Carbon County deputy saves father, son from...
- Dispatchers answer man's repeated 911 calls...
- Sugar House man intends to sue police, city...
- Fire rips through Orem structure under...
- Grading Utah schools, 2014: Top 20 highest...
- Woman killed in Sandy shooting
- Police: Vernal woman arrested with car full...
- Regulators, groups eye EPA rule on coal ash
- Majority of Utahns oppose moving state... 51
- Prison relocation sites down to four as... 50
- Obama signature all that's left in... 39
- End gun violence, say faith leaders on... 33
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 33
- Popular Utah County water recreation... 21
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utahns favor Count My Vote and SB54,... 15