OREM, Utah — Utah Valley University takes its 10-game winning streak on the road this week for five games beginning Tuesday at 6 p.m. against the University of Utah at Spring Mobile Ballpark. The game can be heard live on 960 AM the Zone.
Jeremy Gendlek, who was named the Great West Conference Pitcher of the Week on Monday, will get the start for UVU, while Utah will counter with Ben Mordini.
The Wolverines (17-11) won the last 10 games of an 11-game homestand, including five straight last week. UVU opened the week with an upset of No. 4 Arizona on Wednesday before sweeping North Dakota in the four-game, conference-opening series.
Goose Kallunki had a big week, batting .526 (10-for-19) with three home runs and 12 RBIs. For his performance, he was named the GWC Offensive Player of the Week as Utah Valley swept the weekly awards.
The senior first baseman homered and had two batted in against Arizona and followed that up with the walk-off double in the 10th inning against the Fighting Sioux. He also hit a grand slam and a three-run home run in the series against North Dakota. Kallunki, who leads all Great West players with five home runs and 31 RBIs, was also named to CollegeBaseball360.com's Primetime Performer's List on Monday.
Gendlek picked up his second win over a ranked school this season after pitching seven strong innings and allowing two runs on four hits.
Utah also notched a win over Arizona in the middle of a three-game series in Salt Lake City. The Utes are 8-22 overall and 4-8 in their inaugural season of Pac-12 baseball.
The Wolverines begin a four-game GWC series on Friday at Chicago State. After the five road games this week, UVU will play its next nine games at home.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit http://www.WolverineGreen.com
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 81
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 66
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 53
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 33
- Phil Steele 2016 Football magazine... 29
- Pac-12 South: Bruins the favorite, but... 22