OREM, Utah — Utah Valley University takes its 10-game winning streak on the road this week for five games beginning Tuesday at 6 p.m. against the University of Utah at Spring Mobile Ballpark. The game can be heard live on 960 AM the Zone.
Jeremy Gendlek, who was named the Great West Conference Pitcher of the Week on Monday, will get the start for UVU, while Utah will counter with Ben Mordini.
The Wolverines (17-11) won the last 10 games of an 11-game homestand, including five straight last week. UVU opened the week with an upset of No. 4 Arizona on Wednesday before sweeping North Dakota in the four-game, conference-opening series.
Goose Kallunki had a big week, batting .526 (10-for-19) with three home runs and 12 RBIs. For his performance, he was named the GWC Offensive Player of the Week as Utah Valley swept the weekly awards.
The senior first baseman homered and had two batted in against Arizona and followed that up with the walk-off double in the 10th inning against the Fighting Sioux. He also hit a grand slam and a three-run home run in the series against North Dakota. Kallunki, who leads all Great West players with five home runs and 31 RBIs, was also named to CollegeBaseball360.com's Primetime Performer's List on Monday.
Gendlek picked up his second win over a ranked school this season after pitching seven strong innings and allowing two runs on four hits.
Utah also notched a win over Arizona in the middle of a three-game series in Salt Lake City. The Utes are 8-22 overall and 4-8 in their inaugural season of Pac-12 baseball.
The Wolverines begin a four-game GWC series on Friday at Chicago State. After the five road games this week, UVU will play its next nine games at home.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit http://www.WolverineGreen.com
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 112
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 36
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 29
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans... 19