SALT LAKE CITY — Political conventions were held in Iron, Washington and Utah counties over the weekend. Candidates were able to win their party's nomination and avoid a except in Iron County, where a Republican primaries will be held for a state House race and a county commission race.
Matthew Carling and John Westwood, vying for the House District 72 nomination, will be heading to the June 26th primary, along with David Miller and Alma Adams contesting for a County Commission seat.
The only contested race in the Democratic Party's Utah County convention was settled when Vic Scott dropped out of the race for House District 17. All other candidates were nominated by voice vote.
Joe Stanard took the nomination in the Republican Washington County convention for the newly formed House District 62, as did incumbent County Commissioner Alan Gardner.
Weber County Democrats held a convention on March 24, resulting in no primary run-offs. Neil Hansen was nominated to run for House District 9 and Christopher Winn for District 10. Candidates for House Districts 11 and 29 and state Senate Districts 19 and 20 will be certified at the Democratic State Convention on April 21st because those districts cross county boundaries.
Democrats will hold county conventions for Tooele and Garfield on April 12, Salt Lake on April 14, and Republicans will hold a county convention for Tooele on April 10 and in Salt Lake and Utah counties on April 14.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Prosecutors 'stand down' and drop criminal...
- Screaming, shouting and Utah's in the middle...
- Utah crafting rules for spending on water,...
- Utah city condemns Confederate flag display...
- Fire destroys Taylorsville home, damages another
- Another first: Utah caretaker contracts Zika...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Screaming, shouting and Utah's in the... 64
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 29
- Prosecutors 'stand down' and drop... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16