SALT LAKE CITY — Political conventions were held in Iron, Washington and Utah counties over the weekend. Candidates were able to win their party's nomination and avoid a except in Iron County, where a Republican primaries will be held for a state House race and a county commission race.
Matthew Carling and John Westwood, vying for the House District 72 nomination, will be heading to the June 26th primary, along with David Miller and Alma Adams contesting for a County Commission seat.
The only contested race in the Democratic Party's Utah County convention was settled when Vic Scott dropped out of the race for House District 17. All other candidates were nominated by voice vote.
Joe Stanard took the nomination in the Republican Washington County convention for the newly formed House District 62, as did incumbent County Commissioner Alan Gardner.
Weber County Democrats held a convention on March 24, resulting in no primary run-offs. Neil Hansen was nominated to run for House District 9 and Christopher Winn for District 10. Candidates for House Districts 11 and 29 and state Senate Districts 19 and 20 will be certified at the Democratic State Convention on April 21st because those districts cross county boundaries.
Democrats will hold county conventions for Tooele and Garfield on April 12, Salt Lake on April 14, and Republicans will hold a county convention for Tooele on April 10 and in Salt Lake and Utah counties on April 14.
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Darrien's day: Controversy put aside as man...
- Bystanders flip SUV to rescue teen from river
- U.S. approaching 'sudden' phase of...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 123
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 40
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- New definition of homeless would give... 29
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20