PRICE — A man who led police on a chase before shooting himself in the head had four active warrants for his arrest, according to law enforcers.
Richard L. McCoy, age 42, of Salt Lake City, shot himself in the head Saturday after leading the Utah Highway Patrol on a chase for about a half-hour through a large area of Price and Carbon County, according to the UHP. At last word from authorities, McCoy was in extremely critical condition and not expected to survive.
A UHP trooper spotted McCoy about 12:15 p.m. Saturday near Price law enforcers in Grand County had issued an Attempt To Locate on a stolen vehicle, said trooper Dan Altene. Troopers were also warned that the driver might be armed and dangerous, though it was unclear Sunday how they knew he was possibly armed.
After refusing to pull over for nearly 30 minutes, while only traveling about 45 mph, the driver finally came to a stop near Highway 6, Altene said.
Troopers called out to McCoy to get out of his vehicle and surrender. Instead, he exited and shot himself in the head.
McCoy currently has a warrant out for his arrest for felony shopping lifting from an October case from Salt Lake County. He had another warrant out for failing to show up to a review hearing on 2009 convictions in Third District Court related to stolen property, stolen vehicle, and possession of fake ID. A third active warrant was, likewise, for failing to appear for a review hearing on two other theft convictions. And a fourth warrant was again for failing to show up for court for a 2009 conviction for drug and theft.
- Josh Powell made 'admission of guilt' in...
- Tornado relief spurs LDS Church, Layton's...
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod from...
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over, West...
- 'Mantiques' could be a ticket to more cash
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- XanGo seeks ouster of co-founder in new lawsuit
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 43
- S.L. draws up airport plans 31
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 23
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod... 21
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 20
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 20
- Gov. Gary Herbert tells Washington... 16