Utah State track and field: Aggies post solid finishes in Albuquerque, Stanford
Utah State's men's and women's track and field teams performed well at New Mexico's Don Kirby Invitational in Albuquerque, N.M., as well as the Stanford Invitational in Stanford, Calif. on Friday and Saturday.
USU's women won three events in Albuquerque while the Aggies placed 17 overall at the two meets.
Winning events for the Utah State women were seniors Sonia Grabowska in the pole vault (3.98m, 13-00.75), Spela Hus in the shot put (14.45m, 47-05.00) and Lindsey Spencer in the discus (51.48m, 168-11).
At the Stanford Invitational, senior Daniel Howell placed ninth (8:48.25) in the top section of the 3000m steeplechase while fellow senior Aaron Clements captured fifth place in the third section of the same event (9:02.43).
Senior Kim Quinn crossed the finish line in the 5000m with a time of 16:46.65 to place 16th, while junior Stephanie Burt and sophomore Hannah Williams finished 18th and 19th in the 3000m steeplechase with times of 11:00.43 and 11:00.59, respectively.
Finishing in third place in their respective events at the Don Kirby Invitational were senior Jessie Chugg in the 800m (2:14.23), sophomore Bryce Hall in the discus (47.80m, 156-10) and freshman Travis Johnson in the triple jump with a leap of 14.57m (47-09.75). Hall also tied for fourth place in the shot put with a toss of 15.61m (51-02.75).
Other student-athletes placing fourth in their respective events were juniors Aubrie Haymore in the 400m (55.32), Amber Thompson in the pole vault with a mark of 3.68m (12-00.75) and John Johnson in the men's portion of the pole vault at 4.80m (15-09.00).
Freshman Nic Bowens clocked in at a personal-best 10.51 to capture fourth place in the 100m, while Bowen along with senior Xavier Martin and juniors Silas Pimentel and Will Henry had the fourth-fastest time in the men's 4x100m relay race.
Capturing fifth place for USU were juniors Kaylee Campbell in the 3000m steeplechase (11:48.02) and Kenny Hamlett in the triple jump (14.13m, 46-04.25), along with freshman Mariah Thompson in the high jump (1.69m, 5-06.50) and Devin Wright in the javelin with a throw of 59.39m (194-10).
The Aggies next will travel to Sacramento, Calif., for the Sacramento State Invite next Friday and Saturday. Utah State track and field will host its lone home meet of the season, the Mark Faldmo Invitational, on Friday and Saturday, April 20-21 at the Ralph Maughan Track Stadium.
UTAH STATE RESULTS DON KIRBY INVITATIONAL ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.
APRIL 6-7, 2012
1,500m - 16. Brittany Bushman, 4:58.37
3,000m Steeplechase - 5. Kaylee Campbell, 11:48.02
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler Haws'...
- BYU basketball: Agustin Ambrosino leaves BYU...
- Hard work, dedication pay off for Utah's Karl...
- Stump the Smith: Can you answer the questions...
- LIVE TODAY: Deseret News live streaming...
- High school softball: Copper Hills earns a...
- ESPN trivia guru: University of Utah graduate...
- High school boys soccer: Lehi beats Bingham,...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 56
- Hard work, dedication pay off for... 37
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler... 29
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 19
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz... 19
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 12
- BYU basketball: Agustin Ambrosino... 11
- BYU football: Fan-developed software... 8