Loyola Marymount vaults into 1st in WCC with 3-2 victory over BYU
PROVO — Loyola Marymount University used a 3-2 victory over BYU’s baseball team to return to sole possession of first place in the West Coast Conference on Friday night.
LMU (13-13, 4-1) took an early lead through the first three innings and never trailed on its way to the win. BYU fell to 5-3 in the WCC and 13-12 overall.
“Trevor Megill pitched really well for them,” BYU head coach Vance Law said. “He kept us off balance and had our number early. We had our opportunities late in the game, but we were unable to get that big knock.”
Jaycob Brugman and Stephen Wells both contributed an RBI in the loss.
LMU was the first on the scoreboard when a string of wild pitches led to a Lion run by Zac Fujimoto. The Cougars finally crossed the plate when Brugman brought Alex Wolfe home, cutting the LMU lead to 2-1.
The Lions padded their lead when LMU’s Scott Harkin crushed a one-run double to the wall in the top of the seventh frame.
Ahead by two runs, the Lions’ left fielder came in on a Wells’ bloop single but misjudged it, allowing the Cougar senior to advance to second. Dillon Robinson scored on that play, pulling BYU within one, 3-2. With runners on first and second and two outs, relief pitcher Ryan Hawthorne struck out Wes Guenther to end the inning.
Cougar closer Mason Marshall came in the top of the eighth and blew three straight pitches past LMU’s cleanup to end the threat. Marshall then sat the Lions down in order for the first time all night in the ninth. However, BYU was unable to bring in a run in its final at bat.
“We continued to battle,” Law said. “I’m proud of how they’re competing. We’ll be back and ready tomorrow.”
The two teams will meet Saturday at noon in Miller Park.
Morgan Jones is a soon-to-be graduate of Brigham Young University and intern with BYU Athletic Media Relations. EMAIL: email@example.com
- LDS faith helps keep things in perspective...
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- 2015 BYU Commits
- 2015 Utah Football Commits
- With Kyle Collinsworth out, BYU rebounds and...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- Best in class: Breaking down the recruiting...
- BYU guard Tyler Haws passes Danny Ainge for...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 84
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 36
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 26
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain... 25