Loyola Marymount vaults into 1st in WCC with 3-2 victory over BYU
PROVO — Loyola Marymount University used a 3-2 victory over BYU’s baseball team to return to sole possession of first place in the West Coast Conference on Friday night.
LMU (13-13, 4-1) took an early lead through the first three innings and never trailed on its way to the win. BYU fell to 5-3 in the WCC and 13-12 overall.
“Trevor Megill pitched really well for them,” BYU head coach Vance Law said. “He kept us off balance and had our number early. We had our opportunities late in the game, but we were unable to get that big knock.”
Jaycob Brugman and Stephen Wells both contributed an RBI in the loss.
LMU was the first on the scoreboard when a string of wild pitches led to a Lion run by Zac Fujimoto. The Cougars finally crossed the plate when Brugman brought Alex Wolfe home, cutting the LMU lead to 2-1.
The Lions padded their lead when LMU’s Scott Harkin crushed a one-run double to the wall in the top of the seventh frame.
Ahead by two runs, the Lions’ left fielder came in on a Wells’ bloop single but misjudged it, allowing the Cougar senior to advance to second. Dillon Robinson scored on that play, pulling BYU within one, 3-2. With runners on first and second and two outs, relief pitcher Ryan Hawthorne struck out Wes Guenther to end the inning.
Cougar closer Mason Marshall came in the top of the eighth and blew three straight pitches past LMU’s cleanup to end the threat. Marshall then sat the Lions down in order for the first time all night in the ninth. However, BYU was unable to bring in a run in its final at bat.
“We continued to battle,” Law said. “I’m proud of how they’re competing. We’ll be back and ready tomorrow.”
The two teams will meet Saturday at noon in Miller Park.
Morgan Jones is a soon-to-be graduate of Brigham Young University and intern with BYU Athletic Media Relations. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Rudy Gobert made Suns pay for fouling strategy
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to Pacific,...
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the road...
- Hood, Hayward help Jazz eclipse Suns for...
- Mike Sorensen: Manning's storybook ending...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 102
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 83
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 62
- 5-star LDS linebacker prospect Mique... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Brad Rock: Recruiting day puts Utes in... 29
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for... 22