Loyola Marymount vaults into 1st in WCC with 3-2 victory over BYU
PROVO — Loyola Marymount University used a 3-2 victory over BYU’s baseball team to return to sole possession of first place in the West Coast Conference on Friday night.
LMU (13-13, 4-1) took an early lead through the first three innings and never trailed on its way to the win. BYU fell to 5-3 in the WCC and 13-12 overall.
“Trevor Megill pitched really well for them,” BYU head coach Vance Law said. “He kept us off balance and had our number early. We had our opportunities late in the game, but we were unable to get that big knock.”
Jaycob Brugman and Stephen Wells both contributed an RBI in the loss.
LMU was the first on the scoreboard when a string of wild pitches led to a Lion run by Zac Fujimoto. The Cougars finally crossed the plate when Brugman brought Alex Wolfe home, cutting the LMU lead to 2-1.
The Lions padded their lead when LMU’s Scott Harkin crushed a one-run double to the wall in the top of the seventh frame.
Ahead by two runs, the Lions’ left fielder came in on a Wells’ bloop single but misjudged it, allowing the Cougar senior to advance to second. Dillon Robinson scored on that play, pulling BYU within one, 3-2. With runners on first and second and two outs, relief pitcher Ryan Hawthorne struck out Wes Guenther to end the inning.
Cougar closer Mason Marshall came in the top of the eighth and blew three straight pitches past LMU’s cleanup to end the threat. Marshall then sat the Lions down in order for the first time all night in the ninth. However, BYU was unable to bring in a run in its final at bat.
“We continued to battle,” Law said. “I’m proud of how they’re competing. We’ll be back and ready tomorrow.”
The two teams will meet Saturday at noon in Miller Park.
Morgan Jones is a soon-to-be graduate of Brigham Young University and intern with BYU Athletic Media Relations. EMAIL: email@example.com
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- Utah Jazz: A few slices of holiday spirit...
- Power rankings: Pac-12, WCC, MWC men's...
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass, Cougars'...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much money...
- BYU basketball: 3 players record...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 189
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 96
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 58
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50