WEST VALLEY CITY — A Salt Lake woman was arrested on suspicion of theft and drug charges after taking a customer's vehicle she believed belonged to her husband from an auto-repair shop.
Jamie Michelle Kingery, 35, was charged with theft, a second-degree felony; failure to respond to an officer's signal to stop, a third-degree felony; and possession of drug paraphernalia, a class B misdemeanor, according to documents filed Thursday in 3rd District Court.
Her husband told police that his estranged wife, Kingery, came to the auto-repair shop where he worked in West Valley on March 14 and asked him to give her money and the keys to his car. When he told Kingery to leave, she began striking and choking him and grabbed a nearby set of keys she believed were his, the documents state.
Another worker at the repair shop told police that a woman had dropped off her gold Nissan Maxima for repairs and when he attempted to pull the vehicle inside the garage he could not find the keys. When he arrived at work the next morning the vehicle was missing and the worker called police to report it stolen.
According to court documents, a highway patrol officer stopped a vehicle on March 15 for drifting out of its lane that matched the description of the stolen car. The driver was identified as Kingery, who claimed the vehicle belonged to her husband.
The officer determined that Kingery was driving on a suspended license and had an outstanding warrant for her arrest. When he asked her to step out of the vehicle, she refused and drove away from the officer, the documents state.
Later that evening a corrections agent received a complaint that several people were parked in a gold Nissan Maxima using drugs. He identified Kingery sitting in the driver's seat and put the vehicle's occupants in hand restraints after he was alerted by dispatch that the car was reported stolen, the documents state.
She was arrested at the scene.
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked...
- Photos: A photographic look at Elder L. Tom...
- Wind-fueled fire rips through large Draper home
- Koch brothers group launches campaign against...
- Three children, 1 adult die after boat...
- Couple arrested in Louisiana for $114K theft...
- Elder L. Tom Perry — an 'uncommon' life...
- Body found near Jordan River trail in Salt...
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 47
- Koch brothers group launches campaign... 42
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks... 34
- Grantsville residents tell Prison... 27
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away... 24
- Elder L. Tom Perry — an... 22
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked... 17
- Jammed highway lights fire under Arches... 17