Raid nets 54 criminal illegal immigrants in Utah, ICE says
SALT LAKE CITY — Federal agents arrested 54 people in Utah identified as criminal illegal immigrants as part of a nationwide raid last week.
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement arrested 3,168 people in the six-day operation known as Cross Check. People were taken into custody in all 50 states, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and three U.S. territories.
In Utah, Salt Lake County accounted for the most arrests with 36, followed by seven in Utah County, five in Weber County, four in Davis County, and one each in Box Elder and Summit counties.
Among those arrested:
• A 51-year-old Mexican national in West Valley City with an outstanding deportation order who was convicted of attempted sexual abuse of a child in October 2004.
• A 33-year-old Cambodian national in West Valley City with an outstanding deportation order whose past convictions include carrying a concealed weapon, aggravated assault and theft.
Of those arrested nationally, 2,834 have prior criminal convictions, leaving about 300 who apparently have not been convicted of a crime.
A total of 1,477 have felony convictions including murder, manslaughter, attempted murder, kidnapping, assault with a deadly weapon, armed robbery, terroristic threats, drug trafficking, child abuse, battery on a child, sexual crimes against minors, and aggravated assault. There were 50 documented gang members and 149 convicted sex offenders, according to ICE.
ICE conducted its first Cross Check operation in December 2009, and has since conducted seven regional and two national raids, resulting in more than 7,400 arrests.
- Teen in Springville family found dead left...
- Executive action brings 'temporary relief'...
- AF High Band performs with borrowed...
- For his brothers: American Fork family with 4...
- Redistribution of homes begins in Utah FLDS town
- Groups petition for gun bans from school...
- Photos: Deseret Book winter display yields...
- LDS Church releases renderings of final Provo...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 62
- America needs heroes, Mitt Romney tells... 55
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 55
- Utah business leaders say Congress must... 47
- Woman wears colander for driver's... 35
- Former presidential candidate Mitt... 32
- Executive action brings 'temporary... 27
- Groups petition for gun bans from... 23