Raid nets 54 criminal illegal immigrants in Utah, ICE says
SALT LAKE CITY — Federal agents arrested 54 people in Utah identified as criminal illegal immigrants as part of a nationwide raid last week.
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement arrested 3,168 people in the six-day operation known as Cross Check. People were taken into custody in all 50 states, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and three U.S. territories.
In Utah, Salt Lake County accounted for the most arrests with 36, followed by seven in Utah County, five in Weber County, four in Davis County, and one each in Box Elder and Summit counties.
Among those arrested:
• A 51-year-old Mexican national in West Valley City with an outstanding deportation order who was convicted of attempted sexual abuse of a child in October 2004.
• A 33-year-old Cambodian national in West Valley City with an outstanding deportation order whose past convictions include carrying a concealed weapon, aggravated assault and theft.
Of those arrested nationally, 2,834 have prior criminal convictions, leaving about 300 who apparently have not been convicted of a crime.
A total of 1,477 have felony convictions including murder, manslaughter, attempted murder, kidnapping, assault with a deadly weapon, armed robbery, terroristic threats, drug trafficking, child abuse, battery on a child, sexual crimes against minors, and aggravated assault. There were 50 documented gang members and 149 convicted sex offenders, according to ICE.
ICE conducted its first Cross Check operation in December 2009, and has since conducted seven regional and two national raids, resulting in more than 7,400 arrests.
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- Man arrested in connection with baby's death
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Tired teen plowed into new car lot, Vernal...
- Utah’s Great Gallery rock art younger...
- Family of drowned Weber County man hopes free...
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 52
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 47
- House Speaker Becky Lockhart is running... 36
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 33
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- LDS missionary critically injured in... 27
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 26
- Water levels in Great Salt Lake... 19