SALT LAKE CITY — A University of Utah student became the sixth U. student in six consecutive years to be selected for the Harry S. Truman Scholarship.
Former Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright, president of the Harry S. Truman Scholarship Foundation, announced the Ashley Edgette as one of 54 students selected as a 2012 Truman Scholar. Edgette was chosen from an original pool of 587 applicants from 272 colleges and universities across the United States.
The University of Utah’s Hinckley Institute of Politics is the only institution in the nation to produce a scholar in each of the last six consecutive years.
“The university community is proud of Ashley Edgette’s exceptional achievements, and we congratulate her for being recognized by the Truman Foundation,” said U. President David W. Pershing. “It is a great honor, and we are thrilled to have her represent the U. on the national stage.”
After graduating in May 2013, Edgette plans to study the intersection of community development, sustainable food systems, and social justice through city and metropolitan planning. Her previous work also includes organizing two community-school gardens at Title I elementary schools in Salt Lake City and serving as an editor of the Hinckley Journal of Politics.
Edgette’s Truman Policy proposal addresses the issue of community food security by increasing funding for USDA Community Food Projects and integrating them into Title I elementary schools.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 41
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 30
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 29
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 22