SALT LAKE CITY — A University of Utah student became the sixth U. student in six consecutive years to be selected for the Harry S. Truman Scholarship.
Former Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright, president of the Harry S. Truman Scholarship Foundation, announced the Ashley Edgette as one of 54 students selected as a 2012 Truman Scholar. Edgette was chosen from an original pool of 587 applicants from 272 colleges and universities across the United States.
The University of Utah’s Hinckley Institute of Politics is the only institution in the nation to produce a scholar in each of the last six consecutive years.
“The university community is proud of Ashley Edgette’s exceptional achievements, and we congratulate her for being recognized by the Truman Foundation,” said U. President David W. Pershing. “It is a great honor, and we are thrilled to have her represent the U. on the national stage.”
After graduating in May 2013, Edgette plans to study the intersection of community development, sustainable food systems, and social justice through city and metropolitan planning. Her previous work also includes organizing two community-school gardens at Title I elementary schools in Salt Lake City and serving as an editor of the Hinckley Journal of Politics.
Edgette’s Truman Policy proposal addresses the issue of community food security by increasing funding for USDA Community Food Projects and integrating them into Title I elementary schools.
- Graphic video shows 7 shots fired without...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion
- Husband says he didn't know about wife's...
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite...
- Utah cyclist dies Sunday at the age of 23
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on continued...
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the long...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 99
- 7 dead babies found in Pleasant Grove... 75
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 33
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24
- Moab's dilemma: Can recreation coexist... 23
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 23