SALT LAKE CITY — A University of Utah student became the sixth U. student in six consecutive years to be selected for the Harry S. Truman Scholarship.
Former Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright, president of the Harry S. Truman Scholarship Foundation, announced the Ashley Edgette as one of 54 students selected as a 2012 Truman Scholar. Edgette was chosen from an original pool of 587 applicants from 272 colleges and universities across the United States.
The University of Utah’s Hinckley Institute of Politics is the only institution in the nation to produce a scholar in each of the last six consecutive years.
“The university community is proud of Ashley Edgette’s exceptional achievements, and we congratulate her for being recognized by the Truman Foundation,” said U. President David W. Pershing. “It is a great honor, and we are thrilled to have her represent the U. on the national stage.”
After graduating in May 2013, Edgette plans to study the intersection of community development, sustainable food systems, and social justice through city and metropolitan planning. Her previous work also includes organizing two community-school gardens at Title I elementary schools in Salt Lake City and serving as an editor of the Hinckley Journal of Politics.
Edgette’s Truman Policy proposal addresses the issue of community food security by increasing funding for USDA Community Food Projects and integrating them into Title I elementary schools.
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 86
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 27
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 16
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 16