RENO, Nev. — Brooks Klein hit for the cycle amidst wind, rain-delays and snow lifted Nevada to a 9-3 victory Saturday over BYU.
Klein singled in the second, doubled in the fifth, had a two-run homer in the seventh and a one-run triple in the eighth. The junior right-fielder also scored after being hit by a pitch in the six-run first inning, which put BYU in a hole from which it couldn’t overcome.
“It was tough conditions, but there is no excuse for walking three batters and hitting another without an out to start the game,” BYU coach Vance Law said. “It is really tough for any team to come back from that kind of demoralizing start.”
Nevada (15-11) won the three-game series as BYU evened its record (11-11) after winning the first game.
The Cougars stranded 10 runners on Saturday, but had a couple of bright spots. BYU scored one run in the second inning when Jaycob Brugman got aboard with an error after Nevada benefited from a double play. Brugman ended up scoring twice on Austin Hall’s two singles on the afternoon.
In the two-run eighth, prior to Brugman scoring, Brock Whitney got one of his two hits with a one-out double and crossed the plate when pinchhitter Christian Mua hit a two-out single.
BYU left a pair of runners on base in every inning except for the first when it spotted the Wolf Pack their initial six runs. There was a brief rain-delay in the fifth inning when the mound was covered and snow started falling in the ninth frame.
Nevada native Tanner Chauncey performed well for BYU in his home state, going 1-for-4 Saturday, 7-for-13 against the Wolf Pack overall and 9-of-18 for the week.
“This is one of the most disappointing road trips I have had in recent memory,” said Law. “We are starting to swing the bats better, but this is a series we could have won.”
BYU continues non-conference play on Tuesday with a rematch in Salt Lake City against Utah in Spring Mobile Ballpark at 6 p.m. The Cougars return to league play when it hosts a three-game series with Loyola Marymount starting Thursday.
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Final preseason breakdown of BYU, Utah and...
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of BYU,...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah players take blame like...
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should hear...
- BYU football: Cougars agree to home-and-home...
- BYU's Bronson Kaufusi eager to display new...
- BYU camp report: Taysom Hill throws a pair of...
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real possibility...
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 140
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 88
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 75
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 45
- BYU football: Cougars agree to... 44
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of... 25
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah players take blame... 24
- Reports: Former BYU star Brett Keisel... 20