April LDS general conference concludes with prophetic blessing from President Thomas S. Monson
Four members of the Seventy also spoke during the Sunday afternoon session, including Elder O. Vincent Haleck, who said, "We are a people with a history of vision and the faith and courage to do. Look at where we have come and the blessings we have received. Believe that he can bless you with vision in your life and the courage to act."
Elder Larry Y. Wilson talked about the importance of leading by "principles of righteousness," noting that "our children are in our homes for a limited time. If we wait until they walk out the door to turn over to them the reins of their moral agency, we have waited too long. They will not suddenly develop the ability to make wise decisions if they have never been free to make any important decisions while in our homes."
Elder David F. Evans shared his brother-in-law's conversion story, and invited church members to act on their impulses to share the gospel "without delay."
"Talk to your friend or family member," he said. "Do it in a natural and normal way. Let them know of your love for them and for the Lord. Missionaries can help.
"As you act on the prompting and do it with love, watch as our Heavenly Father uses your willingness to act to bring about a miracle in your life and in the life of the person you care about."
And Elder Paul B. Pieper warned "secular voices are growing in volume and intensity. The world increasingly mocks and urges believers to abandon the sacred."
"That which is sacred to God becomes sacred to us only through the exercise of agency," he said. "Each must choose to accept and hold sacred that which God defines as sacred. He sends light and knowledge from heaven. He invites us to accept and treat it as sacred."
At the conclusion of the session, President Monson paused as he made his way out of the Conference Center. He turned and waved to the congregation. Thousands of hands shot into the air to return the wave – a shared moment of love and greeting between a prophet and his people.
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they balance...
- LDS Church announces new seminary graduation...
- LDS Church announces feature-length...
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- Defending the Faith: The very surprising...
- Watch: LDS bishop featured in 'Meet the...
- Mormons on social media react to Elder...
- How President Uchtdorf upended my apple cart
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 108
- SUU coach Ed Lamb is not a Mormon but... 39
- Elder Bednar invites Mormons to use... 39
- LDS Church announces feature-length... 38
- Defending the Faith: The very... 23
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they... 17
- How President Uchtdorf upended my apple... 12