Laura Seitz, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — A wind-whipped fire at a home spread quickly Saturday, jumping to a neighbor's carport and house before the blaze was knocked back by firefighters.
Evelyn Blake said she saw the thick, black smoke from her house about 2:45 p.m. and quickly went to investigate because her sister lives on the same street.
"I looked out my window and looked down the street, and there were barrels of black smoke coming up," she said, adding she was stunned to realize it was her sister's home that was burning.
"I just started screaming, 'It's their house!' There was smoke and flames coming out of their house all over."
West Valley Fire Marshal Bob Fitzgerald said both families were home at the time of the fire and were able to inform each other about the fire and help everyone get out.
"We're grateful no one was injured," he said, a sentiment shared by Blake.
"I'm just grateful everybody's out and OK," she said, wiping away tears of relief. "It kind of breaks your heart."
Her sister recently had twin girls and the fire left the family without many necessities. The blaze displaced 21 people. The Red Cross offered assistance to the families.
Fire officials said the cause of the blaze at 3341 Florlita Ave. remains under investigation but a faulty gas line may be the culprit.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Police: Man confronts driver's ed student,...
- Man wanted for questioning in Tooele fire...
- Venezuela presents details in weapons case...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 27
- Can police-community relations be... 14
- Rep. Mia Love buying $1M in TV ads for... 14
- Giant algal bloom likely to fuel Utah... 10
- Appellate court upholds water rights... 8