Book review: Heather Armstrong's book 'Dear Daughter: The Best of the Dear Leta Letters' shows joys, love of motherhood
Salt Lake City blogger Heather Armstrong’s book “Dear Daughter: The Best of the Dear Leta Letters” is an adorable book that is a reminder of the joys of motherhood.
The book consists of monthly letters that Heather wrote to her daughter, Leta, from when she was 8 weeks old to her fifth birthday. It chronicles Leta’s monthly progress and journey and talks about the first time Leta slept straight through the night, the first time she said "mama," the first steps she took and everything in between.
Armstrong’s book is an honest, sincere and original tale that recounts the joys and unconditional love of motherhood in a way that all who read this novel will be uplifted and thoroughly entertained. Her writing is always genuine and touching, and often comical. The letters Armstrong wrote to her daughter are never dull, forced or boring. Readers will enjoy the book and learn a greater appreciation for mothers.
Although the letters in the novel are written to Leta, these are letters that are applicable to everybody who reads “Dear Daughter: The Best of the Dear Leta Letters.” These letters remind readers of what it means to be a mother and the joys that are associated with this role through one mother’s documentation of her experience.
Armstrong, who blogs at www.dooce.com sometimes irreverently and with occasional swearing, points out on her blog that the letters have been edited so that they can be enjoyed by "your very religious grandmother or conservative aunt," but still have her signature voice.
Armstrong’s book is a sincere look at motherhood that will entertain, uplift and leave readers a few laughs lighter.
if you go ...
What: Heather Armstrong book signing and "Dear Daughter" launch party
When: Tuesday, April 2, 7 p.m.
Where: The King's English, 1511 S. 1500 East, Salt Lake City
Danica Baird is currently attending BYU and is pursuing a double major in English and journalism.
- Mormons popping up all over TV these days
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' is an awesome mix...
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid friendly
- Who are the Guardians of the Galaxy?
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: The biggest...
- 10 ways Disney can help those with autism
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy': 3 points for parents
- Drive-By Art aims to beautify Salt Lake...
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid... 17
- Sarah Palin launches online... 10
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 8
- Mormons popping up all over TV these days 6
- George W. Bush writes book about father 3
- First trailer for 'The Hobbit: The... 3
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes... 2
- Farewell, Monty Python 2