PROVO — A Provo elementary school was locked down Wednesday as police searched nearby for the driver of a vehicle who had rammed a police vehicle during a traffic stop and then led police on a chase.
Around 11 a.m., Provo police stopped a Toyota Camry for traffic violations, which was driven by Jeffery Rayan Richmond, 32, and contained two passengers, police said.
Richmond allegedly put his vehicle in reverse, rammed the police car and drove off.
Officers pursued the vehicle, but they believe that one of the passengers, whom police identify as Julian Jimenez Gutierrez, 30, got out on West Center Street.
The driver continued to flee in the vehicle until the car came to a stop near the Provo airport dike road and Amelia Earhart Elementary School, according to Provo Police Sgt. Matthew Siufanua.
"Jeffery fled on foot, and at one point attempted to enter a residence by kicking in a door. After his failed attempt officers found and arrested him."
The second passenger, whom police identify as Haylee Viles, 26, remained in the vehicle until officers arrived and placed her in custody.
Police had school officials lock down the school as a precautionary measure.
Around 2:30 PM, Gutierrez was found walking eastbound on West Center Street and arrested. All three suspects were booked into Utah County jail.
Richmond was booked on investigation of aggravated assault on a police officer, possession of drug paraphernalia, and fleeing arrest.
Gutierrez was booked on investigation of possession of controlled substances, possession of drug paraphernalia, and failure to respond to officers.
Haylee was booked on investigation of possession of another’s ID and possession of drug paraphernalia.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Festival celebrates cultural traditions
- Police suspect arson in house fire that...
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue atop...
- Horse owners urged to have animals vaccinated
- Judiciary panel OK’s ex-Centerville...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 34
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 31
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 14