Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Department of Transportation is advising drivers traveling during spring break and LDS general conference this weekend to expect delays of up to one to two hours in Utah County, due to road construction.
UDOT spokesperson Mindy Nelson said that drivers should plan ahead for lane restrictions and interchange closures through the Utah County I-15 Corridor Expansion.
On Friday, motorists are advised to leave before 2 p.m. or after 8 p.m. in order to avoid heavy congestion through the 24-mile construction zone, she said.
According to a statement, I-15 has been reduced to three lanes in both directions from Main Street to 200 South in Lindon. The restrictions are scheduled to remain in place for up to two more weeks while construction crews pave concrete in the middle of the freeway.
Drivers should plan ahead for possible delays during heavy travel times such as the morning or afternoon commute, Nelson said.
Drivers can visit UDOT's website for more information or by signing up for weekly email updates at udot.utah.gov/i15core. They may also receive text updates by texting "i15core" to 53535.
For those using mass transit in Salt Lake this weekend, the Utah Transit Authority encourages visitors to take TRAX and FrontRunner to general conference. The City Center and Temple Square TRAX stations provide the closest access to the LDS Church's Conference Center.
UTA will run extra TRAX trains before each session or event, while FrontRunner service on Saturday will run every hour, departing from Ogden at 16 minutes after the hour. TRAX trains will depart Salt Lake Central Station for Temple Square every 10 minutes.
There is no FrontRunner service Sunday.
A fare increase will go into effect Sunday, raising the price of a one-way ticket from $2.25 to $2.35, with a round-trip going from $4.50 to $4.70 and group passes increasing from $13.50 to $14.00.
Visit www.rideuta.com or call 801-RIDE-UTA (743-3882) for more information.
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment'...
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in Utah...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other elected...
- The Grand America and the Flower Patch: Once...
- Nurse threatened to kill patient after...
- Do Utah high school students need four years...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 135
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other... 60
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 36
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 29
- Do Utah high school students need four... 24
- Martin MacNeill cuts self with razor in... 16
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in... 15
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists... 14