PROVO — The BYU men’s and women’s track and field teams will send athletes to the Utah Valley University Collegiate Invitational and the Texas Relays in the third week of the 2012 outdoor season.
Most BYU athletes will be competing at the UVU Invite, which will be held at the Hal Wing Track and Field Complex in Orem. The Cougars will face off against primarily in-state competition, including Utah, Utah State, Weber State and UVU. Colorado Mesa and Idaho State will also be in attendance.
Field competitors will make up the majority of the BYU men’s athletes in attendance. The Cougars will have 10 athletes in the discus, six in the javelin and five in the shot put. On the women’s side, the meet will mark the first competition for freshman Lexi Eaton, a member of the Cougar basketball team who was named the West Coast Conference Co-Newcomer of the Year following the 2011-12 season.
The meet will get underway on Friday at 8:30 a.m. with the women’s hammer throw and the men’s shot put. Running events will begin at 12:30 p.m. with the steeplechase, and the meet is scheduled to conclude at 4:30 p.m. with the 4x400-meter relays.
Sprinters and field athletes will represent the men at the Texas Relays. Fanfan Charles and Jason Hinds will compete in the 100m, while Chris Carter will compete in the 400m hurdles. Keith Keller and Blaine Baker will toss the javelin, and Victor Weirich will try to improve his mark in the pole vault.
Carter will open the men’s competition with the 400m hurdles at 5 p.m. CST on Thursday, and the final event for the men will be the 4x400m relay scheduled for Saturday at 5:10 p.m.
Only three women’s athletes will compete in Texas. Rachel Fisher, a native of Texas, and Christen Guenther will compete in the pole vault on Saturday at noon CST. Elizabeth Wilson began the heptathlon competition on Wednesday and currently sits in 18th after four events.
Live results from the Texas Relays can be found at texassports.com. The UVU Invite can be followed at runnercard.com.
Taylor Wilson works for BYU Athletic Communications as a Sports Information Director for women's track and field. He can be reached at email@example.com.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45