SPANISH FORK — Some high school students in Utah County will be "Homeless for One Night," so someone else won't have to be.
Students will give up the comforts of home to participate in a walkathon from 7 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Saturday. The students in Friday's walkathon for Habitat for Humanity hope to raise more than double last year's total of $4,000.
Organizer Lisie Dixon said last year’s walk moved her, physically and emotionally. "When it was like three o'clock in the morning, and you woke up students who are still up walking through the night, it was definitely something inspiring for me."
Dixon, who is also the student body president of Spanish Fork High School, enjoyed the jaunt, but said watching the families who received new homes was even better.
"It's really neat to watch these families go from substandard housing to living in homes that are safe and have enough room for their children," she said.
The event will take place at the Spanish Fork High School's indoor track, where students will work in relay teams of eight so that the track is constantly occupied. While they are not walking, students will participate in a variety of activities. The money raised will be donated to Habitat for Humanity to help families in substandard housing build new homes.
Dixon said families are transformed when they receive their new homes. "Not only does it give them a roof over their heads, but it changes the whole dynamic of the family. It can change the education that these children can go on to get, and all kinds of things."
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride Center's...
- Desire to serve: Even a gunshot couldn't keep...
- 1 dead in Uintah County after track hoe...
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in Provo
- Farmington woman tumbles 150 feet in hiking...
- Utah farmer turns alfalfa field into the...
- 'You can see the jaw marks': Pleasant Grove...
- 4 ways to guarantee your kids will have a...
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry... 96
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 55
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 41
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 38
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 28
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 13
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in... 12