Utah State tennis: McKenzie Davis named WAC Women's Tennis Player of the Week
Utah State’s McKenzie Davis has been named the Verizon Western Athletic Conference Women’s Tennis Athlete of the Week for the week of March 19-25, as selected by the conference office and announced Tuesday.
Davis, a freshman from Salt Lake City (Cottonwood High School), went undefeated in both singles and doubles competition to help the Aggies go 2-1 last weekend. In Friday’s match against San Francisco, Davis defeated Melinda Akerbrant in two sets, (7-6, 6-3). She, with partner junior Jaci West, defeated Julie Wartenburger and Blair Reed in doubles, 8-3.
On Saturday, USU played and won its first WAC match against Louisiana Tech. Davis defeated Vivian Ten Dolle in No. 2 singles, 6-3, 6-2, and in doubles, beat Elne Barnard and Anna Zurek, 8-3. Against No. 74 Santa Clara, Davis claimed an intense three-set win over Kelly Lamble, 6-7, 6-4, 7-6 (16-14). She and West took down Katie Le and Jessica Arga in doubles, 8-7 (7-6). With the weekend’s wins, Davis improved to 12-1 in singles action and 11-2 in doubles.
Hawaii’s Jonathan Brooklyn won the men’s title this week.
This is Davis’ second time earning the WAC honor this season as she was also awarded the title for the week of Jan. 30-Feb. 5.
Davis and the Aggies are currently in action at Weber State, wrapping up a long stretch of competition with four matches in five days.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 27