Utah State tennis: McKenzie Davis named WAC Women's Tennis Player of the Week
Utah State’s McKenzie Davis has been named the Verizon Western Athletic Conference Women’s Tennis Athlete of the Week for the week of March 19-25, as selected by the conference office and announced Tuesday.
Davis, a freshman from Salt Lake City (Cottonwood High School), went undefeated in both singles and doubles competition to help the Aggies go 2-1 last weekend. In Friday’s match against San Francisco, Davis defeated Melinda Akerbrant in two sets, (7-6, 6-3). She, with partner junior Jaci West, defeated Julie Wartenburger and Blair Reed in doubles, 8-3.
On Saturday, USU played and won its first WAC match against Louisiana Tech. Davis defeated Vivian Ten Dolle in No. 2 singles, 6-3, 6-2, and in doubles, beat Elne Barnard and Anna Zurek, 8-3. Against No. 74 Santa Clara, Davis claimed an intense three-set win over Kelly Lamble, 6-7, 6-4, 7-6 (16-14). She and West took down Katie Le and Jessica Arga in doubles, 8-7 (7-6). With the weekend’s wins, Davis improved to 12-1 in singles action and 11-2 in doubles.
Hawaii’s Jonathan Brooklyn won the men’s title this week.
This is Davis’ second time earning the WAC honor this season as she was also awarded the title for the week of Jan. 30-Feb. 5.
Davis and the Aggies are currently in action at Weber State, wrapping up a long stretch of competition with four matches in five days.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 86
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 43
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 27
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8