MESA, Ariz. — A lot goes on behind the scenes to pull together the Mesa Arizona Easter Pageant titled "Jesus the Christ" each year, but overlooking the ewes and lambs may leave you feeling sheepish.
An article by the East Valley Tribune tells how the pageant obtains its supporting sheep.
"Mesa’s Lee Pace, his wife, Carol, and their eight children have donated their time and sheep to the pageant for more than 12 years," the East Valley Tribune reported.
Pageant coordinators used to have to search each year for all-white lambs, the article said, until the Paces started acquiring the lambs at the end of the pageant. The family now has its own flock, and at least one lamb is born in time to be in the pageant each year.
"But it doesn't always occur like clockwork," the article reported. "The first spring the Paces tried breeding lambs for the pageant, they found themselves with pregnant ewes but no lambs. Despite their best efforts in scouring the state, none could be found. On the first day of dress rehearsal, Carol fell to her knees, desperately praying for a miracle — but she inevitably conceded to reality. She dialed the pageant director to discuss the bad news. While on the phone, she glanced out a window looking into her backyard, and there stood not one, but two newborn all-white lambs."
The pageant begins Wednesday, March 28, and runs through April 7 and is performed in English and Spanish. More information on the pageant, including a schedule, is available at www.easterpageant.org.
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Mormon couple celebrates 75 years of true love
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a...
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11 museum,...
- New report says 2013 was 'the largest...
- Local Muslims end Ramadan with celebration
- Wright Words: Bad days are inevitable —...
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's... 24
- After government topples crosses in... 19
- 66,511 volunteers set FamilySearch... 17
- What life was like for the Mormon... 16
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 13
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 10
- Thirty countries require leaders to... 4
- Having trouble understanding the Bible?... 4