NEWARK, N.J. — They looked lackadaisical, unenergetic, frustrated and struggled mightily to score and defend.
In other words, the New Jersey Nets looked like they normally do.
Imagine how badly they might've lost to Utah had the Jazz not played a quadruple-overtime game Sunday night.
The Jazz bounced back from their devastating marathon loss with a much-needed 105-84 victory over Deron Williams' Nets.
Both teams were sluggish in a low-scoring first quarter, but the Jazz picked up the pace in the second quarter and went into halftime with a 49-32 lead at Prudential Center.
Utah increased that lead to 22 before the Nets caught on fire, however briefly. Williams helped New Jersey trim the lead to three before the Jazz got back to business.
Paul Millsap led Utah with 24 points and 13 rebounds in 32 minutes — about 20 fewer than he played Sunday night.
Al Jefferson scored 19 points with eight boards in 33 minutes, and Alec Burks chipped in 15 points off the bench.
The Jazz improved to 27-23 and will conclude this road trip Wednesday in Boston.
Williams ended with 17 points and 11 assists for the Nets, who fell to 16-35. Gerald Green topped New Jersey with 20 points.
Coach Tyrone Corbin distributed the minutes among 10 players in the first half, and made his first substitution just four minutes into the game when he brought Derrick Favors, Alec Burks and, surprisingly, Earl Watson into the game.
Watson had been relegated to a third point guard role in recent games due to the standout play of Jamaal Tinsley.
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- BYU football: Cougars to play Washington in...
- Utah Jazz: Better game but same losing result...
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes coming...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors, Marvin Williams...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 100
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 52
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 48
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 47
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 37
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 32