SALT LAKE CITY — State wildlife officials will be deciding in May how many buck deer permits will be available for hunts in Utah this fall, and hunters have an opportunity to provide input on the matter.
The Utah Wildlife Board has split Utah's five general-season hunting regions into 30 smaller units. The board has also given Division of Wildlife Resources biologists flexibility regarding the number of bucks per 100 does on each of the 30 hunting units.
The number of bucks per 100 does determines the number of hunting permits that can be offered. Reducing the number of hunters is the best way to raise the number of bucks per 100 does, which will mean more bucks for those who hunt.
For 2012, the DWR recommends that 14 of Utah's 30 general deer hunting units be managed for 15 to 17 bucks per 100 does. The DWR recommends that the remaining 16 units be managed for 18 to 20 bucks per 100 does.
If the DWR's recommendation is approved, the number of permits available would be: archery 17,300, rifle 51,900 and muzzleloader 17,300.
Interested parties can provide input at a Regional Advisory Council meeting or by sending an email to RAC.
RAC chairmen will share the input they receive with members of the Utah Wildlife Board. The board will meet in Salt Lake City on May 3 to approve permits for this fall's big game hunts.
Dates, times and locations for the RAC meetings are as follows:
•Southern Region, April 10, 5 p.m., Beaver High School, Beaver.
•Southeastern Region, April 11, 5 p.m., College of Eastern Utah, Jennifer M. Leavitt Room, Price.
•Northeastern Region, April 12, 5 p.m., Bingham Entrepreneurship and Energy Research Center, 320 N. 2000 W., Vernal.
•Central Region, April 17, 6:30 p.m., Springville Public Library, Springville.
•Northern Region, April 18, 6 p.m., Brigham City Community Center, 24 N. 300 W., Brigham City.
Email addresses for your RAC members are available at go.usa.gov/IMk.
- What Utah voters need to know for the 2016...
- Poll: Trump up over Clinton in Utah, but lead...
- Two arrested in dangerous Taylorsville chase,...
- Celebrate July 4 at South Salt Lake Freedom...
- Logan toddler killed in driveway accident...
- UTA offers late TRAX, S-Line service for Utah...
- Dam project forces closure of Tibble Fork area
- Two arrested for allegedly siccing pit bull...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- Poll: Trump up over Clinton in Utah,... 43
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 27
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate... 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 23
- Rio Grande neighborhood 'more unsafe... 21