Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Construction on the $730 million Mountain View Corridor has hit the halfway mark.
By the end of the year, the Mountain View Corridor will provide a travel alternative for motorists, connecting Lehi in Utah County with 5400 South in Salt Lake County.
UDOT wants the traffic alleviated in Salt Lake and Utah counties on I-15 just as much as commuters do, said UDOT project director Teri Newell. Mountain View will take drivers on the west side of the valley and Utah Lake and reduce congestion on I-15.
"It's hard to say ‘patience' along with ‘construction' because the two usually don't go together," Newell said. "People are ready for it, and they've actually been patient about some of our construction areas."
Drivers are already suffering with the I-15 CORE project that has reduced I-15 to three lanes in each direction. But the project, as well as the Mountain View Corridor, won't be finished until December, weather permitting.
"We certainly have had people excited about it," Newell said. "I know (from) some of the areas on the south side of the valley we've had people saying, ‘When are you going to open it? We're ready for it, and we've been watching it come for a while.'"
Construction on the Mountain View Corridor in Salt Lake County began in the summer 2010.
To meet projected transportation demands in the year 2030, the full freeway will connect with I-80 in the north at 5800 West in Salt Lake City and I-15 at 2100 North in Lehi in the south.
Newell said that in addition to being on schedule, the project is also on budget.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Police say man murdered his mother in her...
- UDOT to begin adding lanes to I-15 in...
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 42
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 39
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 14
- Sanders to address Utah delegation to... 14
- LDS Church asks court to void subpoena... 12
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9