Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Construction on the $730 million Mountain View Corridor has hit the halfway mark.
By the end of the year, the Mountain View Corridor will provide a travel alternative for motorists, connecting Lehi in Utah County with 5400 South in Salt Lake County.
UDOT wants the traffic alleviated in Salt Lake and Utah counties on I-15 just as much as commuters do, said UDOT project director Teri Newell. Mountain View will take drivers on the west side of the valley and Utah Lake and reduce congestion on I-15.
"It's hard to say ‘patience' along with ‘construction' because the two usually don't go together," Newell said. "People are ready for it, and they've actually been patient about some of our construction areas."
Drivers are already suffering with the I-15 CORE project that has reduced I-15 to three lanes in each direction. But the project, as well as the Mountain View Corridor, won't be finished until December, weather permitting.
"We certainly have had people excited about it," Newell said. "I know (from) some of the areas on the south side of the valley we've had people saying, ‘When are you going to open it? We're ready for it, and we've been watching it come for a while.'"
Construction on the Mountain View Corridor in Salt Lake County began in the summer 2010.
To meet projected transportation demands in the year 2030, the full freeway will connect with I-80 in the north at 5800 West in Salt Lake City and I-15 at 2100 North in Lehi in the south.
Newell said that in addition to being on schedule, the project is also on budget.
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- World-renowned rock art in Utah is younger...
- Doug Robinson: The Birdman of Utah
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- No timeline announced yet for Cottonwood Mall...
- Part police cruiser, part taxi,...
- Duchesne County man pleads guilty to federal...
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 41
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 39
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- Gov.: Elected officials need to serve... 10
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 10