'Hunger Games' feasts its way to third-biggest opening ever
Lionsgate, Murray Close, Associated Press
"The Hunger Games" grossed $155 million in domestic box office sales during its opening weekend, according to Box Office Mojo.
The entertainment news website also put into perspective just how impressive the $155 million figure really is: "It ranks third all-time behind 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2' ($169.2 million) and 'The Dark Knight '($158.4 million). Remarkably, it debuted above all of the 'Twilight' movies, and it also topped 'Alice in Wonderland' ($116.1 million) for highest debut ever for a non-sequel.
The New York Times' Media Decoder blog observed, "('Hunger Games') was the largest weekend for a spring release, demonstrating that blockbusters don’t have to open in the summer; also, with the end of the Harry Potter series, and the coming finale of the 'Twilight' series, it positions 'Hunger Games' as the next popular movie franchise."
Bloomberg News pointed out the added significance attached to that box office success given the film's strong female protagonist, Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence).
"Lions Gate Entertainment Corp.'s $155 million opening-weekend haul for 'The Hunger Games' proved female action heroes can attract big audiences, and may inspire Hollywood to make more films with female leads."
The Los Angeles Times' 24 Frames blog zeroed in on the fact that the movie — an adaptation of Suzanne Collins' novel with the same name — shows "a bestselling book is, perhaps more than ever, the strongest marketing tool a studio can have."
Additional Deseret News coverage concerning "The Hunger Games" includes:
Laura Marostica examined how movie violence affects children
Doug Wright recommended finishing the book before seeing the film
Chris Higbee compiled a list of 40 additional dark movies made for kids
Tori Ackerman found several authors who say "The Hunger Games" have a Christian message
Carmen Rasmusen Herbert predicted that the movie wouldn't be appropriate for young children
- Rupert Murdoch vows Fox News without Ailes is...
- Fox needs to find a successor to man who...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Trump takes time from victory lap to swat at...
- Warner Bros. calms fans with fun 'Justice...
- A title and ship for new 'Star Trek' series:...
- New artificial reef is sunk off Florida's...
- Rupert Murdoch vows Fox News without... 13
- Trump takes time from victory lap to... 13
- Police: Munich suspect was obsessed... 5
- Chris Hicks: Movies to watch over the... 3
- Fox needs to find a successor to man... 2
- Why ‘Rogue One’ will be... 1
- Life lessons keep coming from Star Trek... 1
- Big screen spectacle 'Star Trek Beyond'... 1