BYU track and field: Many Cougars record personal bests at USC Trojan Invitational
LOS ANGELES—Many Cougars recorded personal best marks this weekend as the BYU men’s and women's track and field team participated in the Trojan Invitational at the Loker Stadium in Los Angeles on Friday and Saturday.
“The meet went very well,” men's head coach Mark Robison said. “There was tough competition at the meet and I was very pleased with our teams performances.”
In the short distances, Fanfan Charles finished the 100m in a career best time of 10.58 and Jason Hinds finished in 10.71 and in the 3000m steeplechase Jacob Cosby, Steve Flint and Curtis Carr took fifth, sixth and seventh.
Junior Allyson Anderson led the BYU women’s track team with a dominating performance in the javelin.
Anderson set a new personal best in her javelin win with a throw of 51.19m (167-11). Her throw ranks third in BYU history and currently ranks third in the NCAA. Anderson was the lone Cougar to win an event at the meet.
The high jump was also a strong event for the Cougars. Senior Diana Blauer led BYU with a second place finish after a season-best jump of 1.70m (5-7.00). Ada Robinson and Taylor Stapley tied for sixth in the event with a height of 1.60m (5-3.00).
Angela Shields snagged another second-place finish for the Cougars. Shields finished the 400m hurdles in 1:01.77 to cross the line just behind the winner.
In the 3000m steeplechase, Andrea Nelson managed to finish second in 10:46.45. She was followed closely by teammate Jennica Redd, who crossed the line in third in 11:11.56.
Also picking up a solid finish on the track was Jenessa Carlson. Carlson competed in the 800m for the first time this year and finished fifth in 2:15.08. In the sprints, Kassie Jensen finished the 100m in 12.25, good enough for eighth, whileAubrey Hale crossed in 12.35 to claim ninth.
Both Diane McAllister Perry and Nicole Naatjes tied their season bests in the pole vault with jumps of 3.72m (12-2.50). Mellissa Keltner set a new personal best with a triple jump of 12.05m (39-6.50), good enough for fourth place.
Final results from the USC Trojan Invitational are available on royalresults.com. The Cougars will continue their season at the annual Texas Relays on March 30-31.
Ashlyn Hewlett is a sports information director with BYU Athletic Communications directly over cross country and men's track & field. She can be contacted at email@example.com.
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders weigh in...
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball...
- Morning links: BYU gets a new commitment;...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on dietary...
- High school baseball: Walker leads Pleasant...
- High school boys basketball: Lone Peak hires...
- High school boys soccer: Freshman lifts...
- 4A softball: Spanish Fork overwhelms region...
- Doug Robinson: BYU football may be... 122
- Mike Sorensen: Utah, BYU not getting a... 89
- Guest commentary: Want national... 66
- Utah Utes coaches tailor weekly... 54
- BYU's Taysom Hill, Utah's Devontae... 45
- Morning links: BYU has a shot to snap... 39
- Morning links: BYU gets a new... 34
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 26