BYU track and field competes at the University of Southern California Invitational
LOS ANGELES — Junior Allyson Anderson led the BYU women’s track team with a dominating performance in the javelin at the USC Trojan Invitational.
Anderson set a new personal best in her javelin win with a throw of 51.19m (167-11). Her throw ranks third in BYU history and currently ranks third in the NCAA. Anderson was the lone Cougar to win an event at the meet.
The high jump was also a strong event for the Cougars. Senior Diana Blauer led BYU with a second-place finish after a season-best jump of 1.70m (5-7.00). Ada Robinson and Taylor Stapley tied for sixth in the event with a height of 1.60m (5-3.00).
Angela Shields snagged another second-place finish for the Cougars. Shields finished the 400m hurdles in 1:01.77 to cross the line just behind the winner.
In the 3000m steeplechase, Andrea Nelson managed to finish second in 10:46.45. She was followed closely by teammate Jennica Redd, who crossed the line in third in 11:11.56.
Also picking up a solid finish on the track was Jenessa Carlson. Carlson competed in the 800m for the first time this year and finished fifth in 2:15.08. In the sprints, Kassie Jensen finished the 100m in 12.25, good enough for eighth, while Aubrey Hale crossed in 12.35 to claim ninth.
Both Diane McAllister-Perry and Nicole Naatjes tied their season bests in the pole vault, with jumps of 3.72m (12-2.50). Mellissa Keltner set a new personal best with a triple jump of 12.05m (39-6.50), good enough for fourth place.
Final results from the USC Trojan Invitational are available on royalresults.com. The Cougars will continue their season at the annual Texas Relays on March 30-31.
Taylor Wilson works for BYU Athletic Communications as a Sports Information Director for women's track and field. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Friday night lights central, playoffs...
- High school football: Friday's playoff roundup
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's progress...
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- Langi making an impact at linebacker for BYU
- Utes carry momentum into showdown with the...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 60
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 56
- High school football: State tournament... 55
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve... 51
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 35
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32