BYU track and field competes at the University of Southern California Invitational
LOS ANGELES — Junior Allyson Anderson led the BYU women’s track team with a dominating performance in the javelin at the USC Trojan Invitational.
Anderson set a new personal best in her javelin win with a throw of 51.19m (167-11). Her throw ranks third in BYU history and currently ranks third in the NCAA. Anderson was the lone Cougar to win an event at the meet.
The high jump was also a strong event for the Cougars. Senior Diana Blauer led BYU with a second-place finish after a season-best jump of 1.70m (5-7.00). Ada Robinson and Taylor Stapley tied for sixth in the event with a height of 1.60m (5-3.00).
Angela Shields snagged another second-place finish for the Cougars. Shields finished the 400m hurdles in 1:01.77 to cross the line just behind the winner.
In the 3000m steeplechase, Andrea Nelson managed to finish second in 10:46.45. She was followed closely by teammate Jennica Redd, who crossed the line in third in 11:11.56.
Also picking up a solid finish on the track was Jenessa Carlson. Carlson competed in the 800m for the first time this year and finished fifth in 2:15.08. In the sprints, Kassie Jensen finished the 100m in 12.25, good enough for eighth, while Aubrey Hale crossed in 12.35 to claim ninth.
Both Diane McAllister-Perry and Nicole Naatjes tied their season bests in the pole vault, with jumps of 3.72m (12-2.50). Mellissa Keltner set a new personal best with a triple jump of 12.05m (39-6.50), good enough for fourth place.
Final results from the USC Trojan Invitational are available on royalresults.com. The Cougars will continue their season at the annual Texas Relays on March 30-31.
Taylor Wilson works for BYU Athletic Communications as a Sports Information Director for women's track and field. He can be reached at email@example.com.
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU downs BYU...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants freshmen to...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- BYU basketball instant analysis: There are...
- Rock On: Bronco misses the mark, Utes given...
- 4A boys basketball for 2014-15 season
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 159
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 63
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 43
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 42
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 32
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 30