Jim Urquhart, ASSOCIATED PRESS
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Jazz, which came into Friday night's game against Denver with a five-game winning streak, used a 22-10 run in the final 6 1/2 minutes of the second quarter to grab a 63-55 halftime lead over the Nuggets at EnergySolutions Arena.
Al Jefferson scored 13 first-half points for Utah (25-22), while Devin Harris had 10 with four assists. C.J. Miles added nine points, Derrick Favors eight, Alec Burks seven and Gordon Hayward and foul-plagued Paul Millsap chipped in with six points apiece for the Jazz, who shot a blistering 61.5 percent from the field in the first half.
Hayward and Favors each had five rebounds in the first half for Utah, which trailed 45-41 with 6:46 to go before halftime. Miles, Jefferson and Harris fueled Utah's late first-half run, as Miles hit an 18-foot jumper, drove for a dunk and hit a pair of free throws; Jefferson had a couple of slams and a short jumper, and Harris hit a pair of 3-pointers, both of them in the last 1:47 of the half.
The Jazz led by as many as 11 points, 63-52, late in the first half before former University of Utah star Andre Miller nailed a 3-pointer with 38.6 seconds left to bring the Nuggets back within eight at halftime.
Aaron Alfalo scored 12 first-half points, while reserve JaVale McGee had 10 and Al Harrington had nine more off the bench for the Nuggets (26-21), who entered Friday's contest one game ahead of Utah in the Western Conference playoff race.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 95
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 78
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 59
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 42